volonteanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After 6 month from appearing of the bud, finally opened.One of my fav. slippers, straight volonteanum is fairly rare. Its leaves stand upwards, narrower and bigger, hookeare has wider , but smaller leaves.Volonteanum has massive red pigmentation on the back side of leaves, hookerae has not all. Petals are wider, than at hookerae and it has long-long flower stem. Most of hookeraes and volonteanums are really cross of two subspeciesScreenshot_20230615_145944.jpgScreenshot_20230615_150008.jpg

So how does one tell this apart from hookerae??
reference & all credits to G. Braem's Paphiopedilum book : key to the species:
hookerae: Leaves oblong tongue-shaped, the underside unspotted; petals spathulate, subacute
volonteanum: Leaves narrowly ligulate, the underside spotted purple; petals broadly spathulate, obtuse
So I belief the spotted purple on the leaf underside of volonteanum is the most distinctive feature mentioned and already correctly mentioned in the original posting. And I see my reply crossed that one from Istvan :)

After 6 month from appearing of the bud, finally opened.One of my fav. slippers, straight volonteanum is fairly rare. Its leaves stand upwards, narrower and bigger, hookeare has wider , but smaller leaves.Volonteanum has massive red pigmentation on the back side of leaves, hookerae has not all. Petals are wider, than at hookerae and it has long-long flower stem. Most of hookeraes and volonteanums are really cross of two subspeciesView attachment 41124View attachment 41125
Wow! It’s gorgeous!

Differences between were wrote above. As Leslie mentioned, volonteanum lives at higer regions, so he thinks, two entities are the same species.Others think that these are two separated species. I think, volonteanum is subspecies.

Paph. volonteanum grows on Mt. Kinabalu at altitudes of 600-700 meters and at an altitude of around 2000 meters. Plants have also been found in Sabah near the town of Sandakan. The leaves of the highland form differ significantly from those of the lowland form. However, both forms have violet pigmentation on the underside of the leaves

Paph. hookerae grows exclusively in southern Borneo at an altitude of 400-600 meters in Sarawak and Kalimantan

Have a look here:

https://www.paphs.de/en/blog/paph-hookerae-vs-paph-volonteanum-2

Thank you very much!!
In some of the in-situ photos of vonlonteanum, the leaf underside is free of any pigments. The flowers look awfully similar.
The most distinctive feature for volonteanum seems to be the position of the staminode.

Paph. volonteanum grows on Mt. Kinabalu at altitudes of 600-700 meters and at an altitude of around 2000 meters. Plants have also been found in Sabah near the town of Sandakan. The leaves of the highland form differ significantly from those of the lowland form. However, both forms have violet pigmentation on the underside of the leaves

Paph. hookerae grows exclusively in southern Borneo at an altitude of 400-600 meters in Sarawak and Kalimantan

Have a look here:

https://www.paphs.de/en/blog/paph-hookerae-vs-paph-volonteanum-2
Splendid link! Thank you, Uwe!
The most distinctive feature for volonteanum seems to be the position of the staminode.
Well, Happy, the staminodal shield itself seems to differ quite markedly, too. One will, though, have to consult the original description of the species to see, whether the "furriness" of the (ciliated) staminodal shield, seen in the photos in Uwe's link, is a distinguishing feature of volonteanum?
The form of the dorsal also in general serms to vary between hookerae and volonteanum.

I agree. Also, I don't think the flower shape in just a couple of photos can be used as a reliable guide. You would have to see many samples of each and compare, and then see if the dorsal, or any other floral parts, does indeed differ between the two.

Latest posts

Back