Volonteanum/hookerae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjorn

Reaction score
There have recently been a few entries showing volonteanum and/or hookerae (or Intermediates :eek:) and here is my contribution. Additional to the volonteanum that I have shown on this forum before, I have a couple of hookeraes that came to me from a vendor in Thailand. Is it a typical hookerae or not, well that is the question? Under any circumstance, they look quite different.

The aspect fools us a bit in the previous picture, the hookerae (the tall one) is not that much bigger than the voloteanum- ecept for leaves and height:rollhappy: Here is a comparison of the two flowers.

So where do they differ? Particularly if one considers the other pictures of the species, the most prominent difference should be the pigmentation of the leaves, the volo should be quite heavily dotted with purple on the underside while the hookerae has much less, almost non-existing (but there is some at the basis). This pigmentation is seen in the pictures although not focused upon.

Which of them? Agree with those that think it resembles sangii in a way, but in my opinion the colors are close to tigrinum. The volo is my choice (out of these two of course)

The one on the front looks like my plant that I bought as hookerae, which, like this one, is a small plant. Its leaves don't have any purple either, the underside of the leaves is completely green.

Latest posts

Back