vietnamense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JDY

vietnamense
paphveit09-1.jpg

Jon

Congrats on blooming! That's first & foremost!
Is this a first blooming? I like the color & it looks like it has potential for improved form.

I'm not happy with the shape but at least it didn't blast on me this year.

The NS is 10 cm.

I bought a compot of three, last year this one blasted, this year one of its sibs blasted, so when this one came into bud I moved it from the enclosed light cart that I have them in to the bedroom. More light, Warmer, less air movement & it bloomed for me.

I was told that the plants came from Germany, I think that is why the peddles are down swept. Different breeding line I guess.

Jon

Very nice color!!!! It's something that I would definetely add to my collection sooner or later.

Great color, I have been finding these seem easy to grow, but I have had a problem with SDS - Sudden Death Syndrome. I started with half a dozen, and am now down to just a couple. They seem to do fine for a year or two, then all of a sudden, for no reason discernable - crash and die. Go figure. I've lost 4, 2 after they did their first bloom, 2 before they bloomed. Got only a couple left.

I have to agree with Leo about sudden death syndrome....they seem fine (but slow growing) and then they die. I now have 2 seedlings...one has barely grown in the year I have had it..its still only about 2" across. the other is actually growing steadily...I just hope it lives. Take care, Eric

Great color, I have been finding these seem easy to grow, but I have had a problem with SDS - Sudden Death Syndrome. I started with half a dozen, and am now down to just a couple. They seem to do fine for a year or two, then all of a sudden, for no reason discernable - crash and die. Go figure. I've lost 4, 2 after they did their first bloom, 2 before they bloomed. Got only a couple left.

I got these from you Leo when you gave a talk at our Society (COOS). I haven't had any problem with these but I have trouble with the other Parvisepalum i.e. macranthum (killed everyone I have had) armeniacum got one hanging on for dear life. I have read where you use water with a lot of solids up around 800-900 TDS this might be why I am having problems with the other Parvisepalum. I use RO water with a TDS of 5-14 with 100-125 ppm of nitrogen MSU formula. About every 3 to 4 months I use liquid lime at 2 teaspoons per gallon.
Jon

This is quite interesting (and possibly quite worrying!) to me. I have 6 vietnamense seedlings, but I haven't had them all that long. I was under the impression that they were not very difficult to grow and flower... in fact, I thought they would be easier than some of the other parvis.

I guess I will see in the next year or so....

I bought a flask from Antec when they were still in business and lost every one of them. Now I have seedlings (3-4 ls) from Sam's which seem to be doing fine. I personally think it's the roots on this species you have to be concerned about more then in others. They seem to be more senstive to root loss then say, armeniacum, micranthum etc. These others can hold on and eventually make new ones where as, vietnamense just craters.

Latest posts

Back