Very Soon...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
C. japonicum and formosanum today

CypJaponFormBuds410SM.jpg

funny how the leaves look like they were browsed back when emerging; you don't have any deer or rabbits around there, do you? (smile) or maybe the tips were trimmed back to make sure the buds didn't rot or something?

I was thinking the same thing, how those leaves would be nibbled on here! :mad:

I live on the eves of a city of over 2 million people, not the country. However, just "over the hill" so to speak are tons of deer. This growing area is surrounded by a mesh fence as well in an attempt at keeping wild hogs out. This isn't actually my yard, but a neighbor's, and he has dog too which seems to keep animals at bay. His yard is at the base of a small series of hills that are continuous with the local mountains, so wild boar, deer, raccoon-dogs (tanuki), and the occasional monkey are around, but rarely come down into the human dominated areas.

Will post more pics as they develop. Calanthe also are in bud now and will be flowering presently.

so wild boar, deer, raccoon-dogs (tanuki), and the occasional monkey are around, but rarely come down into the human dominated areas.

Monkeys?! We have to deal with just Rabbits here. How would you protect against monkeys, if they should get that close?

Can send you some. We have them since 3 years in germany in my region too.
And can give you some racon for free.
I mostly have problems with the cats of my wife.
They really like the nice soil to do ..... . You know what I mean.
And my parents dog next door he like to put his bones in the soil, he killed a kentuckiense last year before i made a new fance there.

Dont forget about the snails. I just started to feed them very well.

My ex-girlfriend used to say that they had less squirrels or other small wildlife in Germany than in the US because people hunted and ate them all!

Latest posts

Back