Unnamed Hybrid from SVO- first bloomer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndove

Reaction score
Just thought I’d share. This is a first bloomer I got from Sunset Valley Orchids last year. It’s growing great and it’s already has a new lead that put out this sheath with 3 flowers! I’m anxiously awaiting the flower to open!

Flower started opening today but it looks really funky 🤨

Attachments

• IMG_2808.jpeg
    IMG_2808.jpeg
    991.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2807.jpeg
    IMG_2807.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2825.jpeg
    IMG_2825.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Apparently it is unregistered.
'Tropical Aurora' is Aussie Sunset x Tokyo Magic
'What about Love' is Guess What x Pure Love
These are all fairly recent hybrids and these guys are typically not registered quickly until the breeder knows what to expect. OR somebody like Fred Clarke lets a customer name the new hybrid after said customer has it awarded. It is kind of a thank you for being a good customer of SVO>

Yes, I do realize it’s unnamed that’s why I posted the tag., I wasn’t sure if Fred has bloomed this one out or not. I just talked to him and it appears that he hasn’t cuz he wanted to see pics of this when it blooms.. he didn’t say if he’s seen a bloom yet.

The flower looks to almost have a double lip?? It still hasn’t opened all the way but just looks funny to me but is a gorgeous vibrant yellow

Here’s a photo from this morning with it a little more open

Attachments

• IMG_2828.jpeg
    IMG_2828.jpeg
    814.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2827.jpeg
    IMG_2827.jpeg
    920.1 KB · Views: 0
I was just reporting what I found in my computer search.
Not all hybrids made are named. It happens far more then we would like.

I see what you are talking about. It seems miss formed. Are there two columns or one? From the image angle, it seems as if the right sepal is more slender. Also looks like you have extra lip tissue.
Deformities are fairly common. It may get better, it may not. I have my own personal rule not to discard anything until it blooms 3 times. If it isn’t better by then, I put it on the clubs raffle table. Or I trade it with another person.

Last edited:

I see what you are talking about. It seems miss formed. Are there two columns or one? From the image angle, it seems as if the right sepal is more slender. Also looks like you have extra lip tissue.
Deformities are fairly common. It may get better, it may not. I have my own personal rule not to discard anything until it blooms 3 times. If it isn’t better by then, I put it on the clubs raffle table. Or I trade it with another person.
Ah okay. Yes it was just an impulse buy from Fred’s selections last year. It’s my first attempt at getting into Cattleyas since Phals and Paphs are my favorites. It’s only its first bloom and there are two more buds trying to open up behind this one so hopefully they are better ! The color is still beautiful

Oh and also I think there’s only 1 column from what I can tell it’s still kinda crumpled up in there

deformed this time. Better next time.
Plant looks a bit dry?
Yes my growing area is actually getting really dry whereas I used to have the opposite problem. My bark mix I potted this in dries out too quickly for my liking, I think I need to turn down the fan and up the humidifier

I want to show you guys the second flower to open up is much better! And gorgeous! I’ve been watering more often and raised the humidity. I cut the ugly first flower off 😛
I really like this plant, it’s so compact and a vigorous grower. Hope next year the flowers are better!

Attachments

• IMG_2896.jpeg
    IMG_2896.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2895.jpeg
    IMG_2895.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back