Two Orchid Frustrations

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) I had at least a half dozen in-bud paphs that I was going to contribute to the auction. Mice ate all of the buds.

2) While my Cyp. reginae did not bloom last year, it did grow very nicely, adding two additional "eyes", bringing it up to four. So I unpotted it last fall, put it in some barely damp moss in a baggie in the "crisper" drawer of the extra fridge we have in the garage, just like the prior winter.

Following the recommendations of folks here to grow it in LECA this year, I carefully prepped the medium, got the perfect pot for it, and when I went to retrieve it from the fridge, discovered that my wife had "cleaned it out" and threw it away.

PS - this is what wine was invented for....

Following the recommendations of folks here to grow it in LECA this year, I carefully prepped the medium, got the perfect pot for it, and when I went to retrieve it from the fridge, discovered that my wife had "cleaned it out" and threw it away.

PS - this is what wine was invented for....

Have you not told your wife that you grow orchids? What an EXPENSIVE and heartbreaking mistake! Exactly what sort of vegetable does your wife think a 4-eye Cyp. reginae root looks like? Oh man! I can just imagine your frustration. 'So sorry!

When I went to retrieve Cyp. reginae from the fridge, discovered that my wife had "cleaned it out" and threw it away.

KFScokS.jpg

So sorry to hear about this "mistake"...so sad. Sometimes some people
have the uncontrollable urge to throw out the green, moldy stuff in the
back of the fridge. Forgive her. She meant well.

I'm very sorry, that is devastating. Tell your wife you need an immediate replacement for this 20-growth reginae she wasted.
And for the other problem I recommend SWISSINNO Super Cat.

Too bad that your wife threw out the Cyp.....but mistakes do happen. You'll just have to get a new one and start again.

As for the mice.....time for some good traps. They are as destructive as tree rats!

So sorry Ray
I would need something stronger than wine...
also you would need a cat!

I have a problem with certain birds... they LOVE to eat the red flowers... so as soon as a besseae flower opens it is inmediately eaten... I also need a cat.

Ouch! That's as bad as my cat secretly knocking the box of red Habenaria bulbs from Thailand into the trash on disposal day! :mad:
At least you can donate Blooming size plants to the auction!.

I used to use baits in the greenhouse, and they were very effective, but now that we have a little rescue mini-mini-dachshund (3 years old, 9#) that likes to follow me around, I discontinued that.

I've used them, they are contained and work well. It's round, you open a little port in bottom load bait and close. Twist the trap to set it and when critter inside releases trap it twists trapping it inside. Toss out trap and begin again for next mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As winter approaches I also have a rodent problem in the greenhouse. The worst of it is that they attack my Gouldians, so I generally only become aware that the problem has started again when I find a few of my birds are missing:(.
I have been told that mice are lactose intolerant and so will not eat cheese by choice, and so peanut butter works best, while rats are attracted best by bacon or chocolate.
Sad about the cyp (but kinda funny too), in sympathy I am going to pour myself a glass of wine, then perhaps a second (I need a proper excuse as it is early morning here):)

Latest posts

Back