Cyp Cold Tolerance

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... After my wife unknowingly threw away a huge Cyp. reginae that was wintering bare-root in the fridge crisper a couple of years ago, I picked up a couple of hybrids last fall - Emil (parviflorum x calceolus) and Annegret (shanxiense x parviflorum). Both were wintered the same way, were planted in LECA about two weeks ago, and have exploded into growth.

Despite it supposedly being spring, we're looking at lows in the upper 30's (°F) later this week. My gut says stick 'em in the greenhouse, but am I being overly concerned?

I haven't grown any of these, but I have photographed a couple of them here in Mich. As I recall, I don't usually see them until early June which is well past our average last frost free date. To be on the safe side I'd opt for a cool spot in the greenhouse.

As long as the plants do not freeze then they are fine outside. Greenhouse culture of cyps is sure death. They hate any heat. An hour or two in a hot greenhouse will leave them desiccated
David.

Cyp parviflorum, at least from its northern ranges, can take snow and temps just below freezing without harm to emerging foliage. Mature foliage or flower buds might be more sensitive. I would expect similar of Cyp calceolus. I don't think upper 30s would bother them, or their hybrid, at all. Cyp shanxiense shouldn't make a Cyp parviflorum hybrid too much more sensitive.

Very unlikely that upper 30's will hurt them, but neither will a night in the greenhouse...

Precisely why I went for the latter.

FWIW, I presoaked the LECA with water containing K-Lite @ 25 ppm N, KelpMax @ 1:256, and Inocucor Garden Solution @ 1:100 before potting. Emil had 3 "eyes", Annegret had 4, and they each have one additional growth emerging.

I grow Cyp reginae and hybrids in flower beds. Cyp reginae a native plant here but as long as the shoots have a few inches tall, they freeze if the temp is below 0 C (32 F). But the plants have many dormant buds so there are always new shoots emerging from the soil. I must say I now protect the shoots or from frost. I got a larger clumps and a much nicer display !

I have Cyp pubescens in pots. They wintered over in the fridge and now, they're outside. They will die if they freeze in a pot. But, as long as they don't freeze, they'll be just fine. I put them inside the greenhouse last night because it was going down to -3*C....too cold. However, I've left them out on previous nights that went down to only +2*C with no problems at all....in fact, it seemed to envigorate them as they grew a little bit and the tips turned green. I think the crucial thing for potted Cyps is that they do not freeze. I have no idea why freezing in the ground doesn't hurt them; but, freezing in a pot quickly kills them. 'Lost a WONDERFUL, AWESOME clone of parviflorum years ago because I foolishly left it outside, in it's pot, on a cold October night. Temps went below freezing and even though the plant was completely dormant, it was all mush the next day. *sniff!*

I remember you telling us about what your wife did to your reginae....still makes me cringe when I think about the moment you realized what she'd done!

I have Cyp pubescens in pots. They wintered over in the fridge and now, they're outside. They will die if they freeze in a pot. But, as long as they don't freeze, they'll be just fine. I put them inside the greenhouse last night because it was going down to -3*C....too cold. However, I've left them out on previous nights that went down to only +2*C with no problems at all....in fact, it seemed to envigorate them as they grew a little bit and the tips turned green. I think the crucial thing for potted Cyps is that they do not freeze. I have no idea why freezing in the ground doesn't hurt them; but, freezing in a pot quickly kills them. 'Lost a WONDERFUL, AWESOME clone of parviflorum years ago because I foolishly left it outside, in it's pot, on a cold October night. Temps went below freezing and even though the plant was completely dormant, it was all mush the next day. *sniff!*

May we suspect Cyp roots dislike temperatures variation around freezing point?

Back