Cyps in pots 2018

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
its some time since I posted photos of the plants and in the meantime the collection has dwindled somewhat. It is probably only about a quarter of what it was five years ago, due to a combination of family issues and loss of interest.
It’s difficult to keep cyps long term unless you are on the ball. They have a bit of a death wish at the best of times and can rot off easily if conditions are not to their liking.
They can also rot off when they get big. Michael Winenert recommends dividing then as soon as the number of shoots reaches double digits. Easy enough with hybrids but a challenge with most species.
First photo is a general view. Some are hanging on and other going backwards. There is only one species left, a parviflorum var pubescens that inadvertently spent the winter outside open to the elements so it must be good with winter wet.
D9189686-66EE-4A96-A337-DDABE2F2218C.jpeg

The only hybrids that are still doing ok are a couple of Kentuckiense x tibeticums. Both are still large plants and have lost no shoots.
The first has 28 flowers this year, the second about 40 with 9 stems with two flowers.
CF226DEF-AB46-444F-B66C-4A701D4469DB.jpeg
17913432-C02F-452A-A644-6011B11B7F1F.jpeg
David

David, what a nice sight. But I'm wondering why do you grow them in pots and not planted in open soil? It should be easy to grow them in your UK climate.

Great to see you still have some nice pots of these growing well. I agree that no Cyp, especially any species, are "easy" to grow in the long haul. In the ground they are subject to all manner of rots, rodents (chewing) and slugs (also chewing). In pots they need repotting/dividing on a regular basis, but are more manageable. Where I live they are nearly impossible to grow (yup, I still grow a few though). That tibeticum x kentuckiense is stunning...

What are you growing again? Gisela? Formosana? Pubescens?

I think I just have C. Victoria and maybe a C. kentuckiense left - I haven't looked at the labels in a while. These are the remains of a dozen or so types I once grew from years past. They have persisted, but do not thrive, and one day will probably perish like the others. Now and then I get a flower out of them. The big C. formosanum clump I had is gone now, as are the C. japonicum. The land they were growing on belonged to a neighbor who recently died. I couldn't maintain them here in my tiny yard, so had to dispense with them. If I lived in the mountains I'd try a few of the hybrids again, but in this lowland, urban environment it just isn't a viable long term option.

look gorgeous - thanks for inspiring me to try harder with mine!! have converted them all to pumice and perlite - Cyp Sabine

Attachments

• IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1561.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg