Trichopilia suavis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on that amazing blooming. I tried
trichs years ago and couldn't grow them well at all.

I don't want to speak for others, and I only have experience with T. suavis (though T. tortilis is on my wish list), but I literally grow mine like I grow my Phrags. Same light levels. Same temperatures. Same potting mix. I even grow it sitting in a bit of water at all times.

Granted, I started out with a really healthy T. suavis from Carter and Holmes, where as a lot of the other Trichopilias I've seen for sale in the past 5 - 10 years have been recent imports that are stressed. I'm sure the recently imported stock is going to be harder to recover.

abax, I am not a very good Trichoplia grower.... I think I just begin to understand how thirsty they are.... Never grew my plants as wet as mrhappyrotter does though. Maybe I should... Have issues with Trichopilia Charles and x ramonensis....

Very beautiful. I purchase one at Orchilim exhibition 2019 (Zolder - Belgium). The vendor say me that this plant needs to be always humid and cultivated not to hot during the growing season.

I bought a suavis and a tortilis last year from C&H and they did not like me at all. After some research I came to the same conclusion as mrhappyrotter, moving them to net pots of rockwool mix and growing them alongside my Phrags. I also added an evaporative cooler to my greenhouse which had done wonders here in hot South Carolina. I won't claim success yet, but they have strong new growths coming up and look MUCH better than they did last year.

Latest posts

Back