tigrinum at 3 months

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Purchased a flask of tigrinum in October from Terry Partin (Orchid Trading Company). They are in Orchiata + perlite with 3 per 4 inch compot. I tend to let them dry out just a little before watering. They seem to be doing just fine and most have grown a new leaf. The first photo was taken immediately after deflasking. The second photo is slightly less than 3 months later. I tried to orient them the same, but one is gone (sold to a friend). Mike

Nice plants! Do you fertilize these? After how many years do you expect a flowering?

I'm inclined to say that you should have crammed in 7 or 8 or even 10 plants to a pot that size. My communities seem to prefer that to too much room and they grow faster than if they have plenty of room. I think it has something to do with unused mix going ''off'' But I don't know the science behind it.

Great plants! Thank you for posting this.

I wanted to ask- how did you handle the deflasking? Were they shipped in flask to you? If so, did you let them sit a few days with the lid off to acclimate or did you pot them right up? Any special treatment right after potting to acclimate them to the outside world?

Asking because I tried 2 flasks of tigrinum almost 10 years ago, and the entire contents of both flasks died within 48 hours. It is the only time this has ever happened to me, and it was so fast. The plants just turned brown and rotted.

I will be taking another shot in a few weeks when my next round of flasks come, and your approach to deflasking would be very helpful as I plan out how to tackle these.

In my admittedly limited deflasking efforts, I have always kept the humidity high around compots for at least two weeks before "weaning" the plants to Normal levels over a few weeks.

I have never grown Paph. tigrinum, but Holger Perner saw his survival rate to maturity go from single digits to approaching 90% by using Inocucor Garden Solution.

The recommended regimen is a 1-hour soak in a 1:50 solution upon deflasking, then watering-in with a 1:100 solution, then misting the plants with that same solution "every now and then" (1-2 times a day).

Regarding the number of plants in the compots, I would normally have at least 2X this density as it seems they do grow better, but I was concerned that I might need to put them into various different micro-environments, if they started dying, but they didn't. At this point, I'm going to leave them alone, since they seem to be doing OK and I will sell some in the spring to recover the cost of the flask.

Regarding the deflasking technique, they were very robust seedlings when I got them and the roots were extremely well developed. I hand carried the flask, so I didn't need to worry about tumbling or padding. When I deflasked them, I put them into this mix, flushed it with very dilute fertilizer and sealed them up in ziplock bags (2 four inch pots per quart bag) for several weeks. I then folded down the end of the bag to form a small opening about the size of a quarter and left them this way for an additional two weeks. I did not water them during this time, since I could see moisture condensing on the inside of the bag. After this 4 week period, I folded down the top and watered them whenever the medium was dry, which was about 2x week under lights at room temperature. I did make a conscious effort to grow them with the medium a little on the dry side. They were in the bags with the folded down sides for an additional month and I suspect this helped maintain a higher relative humidity around the seedlings. Right now the relative humidity in the room with the light rack is about 30%, so I mist them every day, but try to avoid the temptation to water more frequently. So, in summary, they had an easy transition to the real world, and I have avoided rotting the roots. I hope my luck continues.

Mike

Thank you Mike. This is very helpful. The baggie method has been disastrous for me in the past- though with the caveat that the one time I tried it (with sanderianum and roth in the first Chronicles I did almost a decade ago), I did so right after getting all the plants and medium sopping wet- plus humidity is already on the higher side here.

Still- your successful outcome tells me I do need to pay far more attention to humidity and acclimation than usual, and so I have devised a couple of options to test out which will enclose the compots as you did with yours, but with a bit of air movement- plus I will make sure when I do the initial watering that the leaves remain as dry as possible.

Fingers crossed! Best of luck with yours- and I look forward to more of your updates.

Latest posts

Back