three phal species

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got two new plants flowering, and a pic from an older one I think I forgot to post before.
One is of my oldest phal cochlearis, which smells faintly like lemons, other is the first of my phal lindenii's to flower this year and the last is my phal sanderiana which puts out spikes and branches and flowers whenever it feels like it!

cochlearis608.jpg

cochlearis

lindenii608.jpg

my smaller lindenii originally from hoosier orchids, no clonal name

doublesandy.JPG

sanderiana with stuartiana flowering in the background

very nice, all the 3; even if I would prefer lindenii (also because Jean Jules Linden was a Luxembourger :) ), I like the shape of cochlearis a lot!! Jean

They are all very nice. I find myself liking the smaller flowered species more and more. I don't see them advertised much, though, other than equestris.

They are all very nice. I find myself liking the smaller flowered species more and more. I don't see them advertised much, though, other than equestris.

dowery orchids has many of the smaller ones, and sorella orchids in the northwest also has some including lindenii. al's orchid exchange when he opens again (if not already) often has a good number of small phal species like braceana which he grows very well in his greenhouse. andy's orchids often has phal species but often they aren't listed on his site

I like the cochlearis. I had not heard of it before. I'll have to keep a lookout.

cochlearis likes intermediate/warm, moist and somewhat shady all the time and prefers some limestone in the mix. the flower is maybe 1" to 1-1/2" tall. oak hill has offered seedlings of it, along with dowery orchids and a few other places
I forgot to add that cochlearis is one of the species like corningiana that likes to have the same temperatures all the time. It is close enough to the equator that the temps don't really change. It is a good species for growing under lights or on a windowsill if you have good humidity, and it also prefers not to get too hot, or have a big temperature change from day to night.

Last edited:
dowery orchids has many of the smaller ones, and sorella orchids in the northwest also has some including lindenii. al's orchid exchange when he opens again (if not already) often has a good number of small phal species like braceana which he grows very well in his greenhouse. andy's orchids often has phal species but often they aren't listed on his site
Thanks, Charles.

Beauties all 3 of them, but the first two are superb, with a slight preference on the first!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you say this?:confused:

see previous post on first page (or below)
>cochlearis likes intermediate/warm, moist and somewhat shady all the time and prefers some limestone in the mix. the flower is maybe 1" to 1-1/2" tall. oak hill has offered seedlings of it, along with dowery orchids and a few other places
I forgot to add that cochlearis is one of the species like corningiana that likes to have the same temperatures all the time. It is close enough to the equator that the temps don't really change. It is a good species for growing under lights or on a windowsill if you have good humidity, and it also prefers not to get too hot, or have a big temperature change from day to night.

corningiana, cochlearis and maculata are three that grow in places where the environment is often very stable, temperature and light-wise. Things don't change very much. Day temps and night temps on average year-round are within a few degrees of each other. The deviation between day and night temperatures is also often very small due to close equatorial and low-elevation positions. This translates to plants that don't like a lot of change, which stresses them. Also none of them have very high average day temps.
Indoor environments in general if you were to have plants under lights would likely mirror what they have in nature. Often usually greenhouses will have very extreme temps through the day, day to day and year round, which will stress them to no end. Many people have a very hard time growing them in a greenhouse, unless they have been able to modify the area so that the temperatures are stabilized. A look at Charles and Margaret Baker's culture sheets for these species www.orchidculture.com and the weather station data and collection of grower's reports for how they grow these species point this out (which is how I was able to figure this all out).

Now, there are excellent growers who can grow anything and find just the right spot for these plants and live in an environment that helps make it easier to grow them in a greenhouse, but probably many don't have the setup or the time to make it work right for them. Conditions in the home are actually much easier to adjust for them to be happy. Same thing with lindenii if you don't have a fan pad cooler or something like that or lots of vandas to hide them under; a kitchen windowsill is a great place to grow lindeniis

Now again, if you know that these species need very equable conditions year-round and you have a greenhouse and are able to modify an area so that the extremes are greatly lessened, then you will be ahead of the game and most of the other people who have tried to grow them in greenhouses but didn't know their cultural requirements. Knowledge is great medicine, in this case. I see you live in Texas which would lead me to believe that conditions in a greenhouse you might have could be very extreme. If you had a spot that had a ton of shadecloth, a good heater in winter and a way to keep the humidity in decent numbers and somehow regulate it all so that the temps stayed pretty close and not too high, then you might have a good chance to grow them and keep them alive for some time. Then again if you really like them maybe it's better to just have them on your windowsill.

Has this helped, or did I just confuse things more? Looking at the culture sheets would help explain this a lot better when you see how even the conditions are where they grow

Ed actually grows indoors and has a great enclosed indoor chamber which would be ideal for growing these guys.

My general sense of indoor growing though is that in the winter my house struggles to get above 30% humidity (running AC in the summer ends up not that much better), and trying to keep things more humid at my windowsills will rot the frames off. I have a small box for my pleuros and seedlings that I can get good control over. Basically its just a down scaled, artificially lit greenhouse.

You can maintain good even temps in a GH it just depends on how much $$ you want to pay in energy costs. But a great advantage is that you can get much higher light levels for free, and you can soak the place about as much as you want and not worry about mold and algae taking over the furniture.

I know lots of people with good success growing inside, outside, and everything in between. I do both, and it seems like I end up putting just as much effort/$ per plant into the indoor stuff as the outdoor stuff.

I have grow carts with fluorescent lights in south windows, plastic around the carts to keep humidity in. About half the necessary light comes from window, half from lights; in winter heat from lights also heats apartment. Small humidifier fan keeps plants happy and nothing rots. Previous years I tried a centrifugal cool humidifier, but it threw out just way too much water and there was definite mildew problems in the kitchen ceiling along outside walls where the insulation was poor; not a problem now that I use ultrasonic humidifier. I do vent outside air in to keep the apartment cooler in summer and turn off some lights if it gets too hot, but my apartment would get heated one way or the other anyhow in the winter. The plants are also right there to keep an eye on. A greenhouse would pose just way too many problems to deal with. Actually a member of our orchid club just built a new house, and in the basement is a greenhouse kit. Keeps the moisture and humidity inside and lights for plants. If gets too warm a little vent opens and a fan draws out the excess. He can run misters and ultrasonic humidifiers with no problem

Latest posts

Back