Three Buds on Delenatii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
My delenatii started to grow two buds as usual, but then I noticed one more at an odd location.
Never seen something strange like this on a paph before, but I'll take three buds. :)
The pictures were taken with only three days apart. And all three are well over the leaves now only three more days have passed since. They are developing fast!

DqkD25pl.jpg

6B1r7zHl.jpg

Very interesting...also to see whether the buds develop into three, normally formed flowers? Keep us posted!

It remains to be seen, but so far so good.
It has been about one week since I took that last photo, and the main spike is already about 8inch tall. The third bud is about 2inch above but it is still on its ovary and I can't tell if it's on its own or attached on the main spike. Probably the latter.

Wit this speed, I think I am going to see the flowers by mid January.
Normally blooms around February for me like a clock work.

If you are thinking two spikes out of one terminal growth I have had it happen with one of my plants before. I thought I had a picture of it on my I-Pad but can't fint it, will have to look through the photos on my cameras. I'm pretty sure I documented it but don't remember what species Paph it was on.

Found it! It was something I posted on Aug. 9, 2013 and was also a delenatii (one of mine decended from the original collection in the early 1900's). One of the flowers was badly deformed (as shown in the first picture, but the second and third photos show the emergence of the too peduncles from the single growth

Found it! It was something I posted on Aug. 9, 2013 and was also a delenatii (one of mine decended from the original collection in the early 1900's). One of the flowers was badly deformed (as shown in the first picture, but the second and third photos show the emergence of the too peduncles from the single growth
I don't think I see photos?

Three buds will be a sight to see from one growth. Let's see if the are on the same inflorescense. If so, I would think it is a new record!

I can't see the separate spike yet, so I'm guessing they are all on the same spike. Time will tell.
One thing is that the third bud looks to be upside down. hmmm That could change but if not, then that would look very funny. haha

By the way, I have seen a delenatii with three flowers on a single spike before. Also, niveum with three flowers on a single spike. All in the normal fashion, though, not like this crazy plant of mine.

The clump in the photo is from a plant I purchased from J & L Orchids (when it was still owned by Janet and Lee) in the late '70's and is very fragrant. I have another delenatii that I believe is from the collection in the '90's? It is a more robust plant and a larger flower. Alas, not as fragrant.

The clump in the photo is from a plant I purchased from J & L Orchids (when it was still owned by Janet and Lee) in the late '70's and is very fragrant. I have another delenatii that I believe is from the collection in the '90's? It is a more robust plant and a larger flower. Alas, not as fragrant.

Do you have both still?
I know you posted a very well growing delenatii in the past, which you made a multiple divisions of. Which one was that??

Do you have both still?
I know you posted a very well growing delenatii in the past, which you made a multiple divisions of. Which one was that??

It's the one descended from the original collection that I've had for 40+ years. Unfortunately, I think that I'm going to have to break it up come spring, it would just be too hard to repot in one piece.

It's the one descended from the original collection that I've had for 40+ years. Unfortunately, I think that I'm going to have to break it up come spring, it would just be too hard to repot in one piece.

I see what you mean. As much as I'd like to leave vigorous plants run wild and do their thing, the repotting them is no easy job. I'm guilty of ruining some of these big plants. I need to cut them up into pieces and maintain as manageable plants. Espeically difficult as an indoor grower, I think.

Anyway, I know I asked for a division in the past and then I backed out. Maybe this time, I would like to get a piece of it. I'd love a fragrant delenatii. and a vigorous clone like yours! Though it may not do as well under my conditions.

Latest posts

Back