Thinking about trying a compot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Orchid Boy

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a compot of paphs in March at the local orchid show possibly from Orchid Inn. Some species that I really want are P. micranthum, P. armeniacum, P. bellatulum, P. liemianum, P. callosum (viniferum), and P. barbatum. Which of these would I be most likely to find/easiest to grow from compot, and how would you care for a compot differently than for a mature plant? (Orchids are listed in order of most prefered being first)

well, if they are an established compot you should have no problems with any of these..all of these should be just as easy as the other

I know last year at the show he had lots of rothchildianum flasks, compots, seedlings, and a few bigger roths. Part of what I like about going to the show is you never know what you'll find and I never know what I'll get. :) I wonder if the Plant House has compots of any sort...

What should I expect to pay for a compot? I know it may depend on the species, quantity, and age of the seedlings..

Sam don't have a list of compots. But for flask, if you just want to try it. Buy the cheapest flask so if you lose it. It doesn't hurt as much. Also take consideration that when they grow. You have to have room for them.

My suggestion if you are looking at OI:

OIK0060 Paph. breamii 'OI' x self $75
and/or
OIK0203 Paph. fowliei 'Shine and Glory' x self $75

Note that I specified and/or because you could get both. Both are miniatures :clap:

Also hainanense for $100 they are easy. I have a thread in the collection for deflasking. Look it up if you are interested.

Sam don't have a list of compots. But for flask, if you just want to try it. Buy the cheapest flask so if you lose it. It doesn't hurt as much. Also take consideration that when they grow. You have to have room for them.

My suggestion if you are looking at OI:

OIK0060 Paph. breamii 'OI' x self $75
and/or
OIK0203 Paph. fowliei 'Shine and Glory' x self $75

Note that I specified and/or because you could get both. Both are miniatures :clap:

Also hainanense for $100 they are easy. I have a thread in the collection for deflasking. Look it up if you are interested.

I agree with eggshells on this!

Out of the list I would say P. liemianum, P. barbatum are quiet easy growers.

Paphman910

Latest posts

Back