The New Greenhouse Setup

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Barbara

The electrician arrived and now the greenhouse is fully operational, so out they all went. I held back a couple plants that were spiking just to be on the safe side; but otherwise the entire collection of 200 plus plants is in there. I hope they all adapt to the new conditions without too much difficulty.

HPIM5122.jpg

HPIM5143.jpg

HPIM5142.jpg

HPIM5136.jpg

HPIM5135.jpg

HPIM5133.jpg

HPIM5131.jpg

HPIM5134.jpg

HPIM5130.jpg

And I just have to include a picture of the red mandevilla since it has a story. I left it in the basement last winter and forgot to water it for a couple weeks; the poor thing was nearly dead by the time I remembered it. It seems to have bounced back quite well. I'm thinking they must be weeds in their native habitat.

HPIM5139.jpg

Wow, great house you have there, and still some place left free :) !!!!
What kind of heating system do you use?
Jean

forgot to mention: a lot of very, very nice plants!!!!

Thanks everyone. This is an 8x7x12' five wall polycarbonate kit from BC Greenhouses. So far so good, although I'm finding that humidly levels outdoors aren't anything like they are indoors, but with a little effort; I'm hoping I get it under control. Right now I have 3 fans plus the heater fan in use and that seems to bring the humidity down to normal levels, but it still skyrockets to near 90% when I water. Those thermal/solar powered roof vents are pure genius too!

We're using an electric heater right now, meant for heating garages and small spaces, and so far that seems to be doing a good job; but we'll see how this plays out when the winter weather hits.

I'm thinking that cooling it will be the real challenge come summer, since this thing heats up so fast. I'm hoping the cooling system (fan/vent) will do the trick. :rollhappy: Ya right! We'll be using shade cloth as well; come the warmer weather.

We’re such novices with this, so if anyone has any pointers, please feel free to share!

My new g.h. is a BC too. When I saw the channels on your supports, I thought it was one:>

You'll probably need an evaporative cooler for the warmer months of the year. You'll find humidity will go right out those vents. If you want it as automated as possible, a cooling system will save you a lot of worry and headaches.

very nice! if you wanted to conserve some heat in the winter, you could get some plastic 55 gallon drums, fill them with water and maybe paint them black and keep under your lower benches (if they fit)

Back