Summering outdoors

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only issue of concern I see is the ten plants which are not mounted getting watered every day. Most catts need to dry out between waterings so I guess it depends on what medium you have them in combined with the type of pot (plastic/clay/ how open it is) and how fast they're using up the water, but I'd be real worried about rotting all the roots off if they stay too wet too long.

Tenman, Thanks for sharing your concern. Mulled this over for awhile. Now the plastic potted plants are watered every other day now and are doing fine. Guess I was projecting-I'd want water every day if I was out in the heat all day.:)

Another question! Like you guys didn't know this was coming:) Temps will do down to mid 50's for several nights- should phals be brought in now? And what temp for Dendrobium,Vandas, Catts, Oncidium,Stanhopeas and Paphs?
Summering outdoors was a huge success!!The orchids took all the days over 100 in stride! Can't believe how happy the orchids are with all the new roots and growths. And bloomed a vanda, and several sheaths on catts!
Thanks!!

We had night-temps in Luxbg. around 5-7 Celsius (should be mid-forty in F.) and I had quite some catts, vandas and stanhopeas outside! One Stanhopea is bringing 2 spikes!! I took it into my gh yesterday :)! Of course you always have warm and intermediate to cool growers for catts and Vandas! Jean

Most of my plants are back inside the house and the greenhouse. The masdevallias, cymbidiums, some oncidium types, coelogynes and dendrobiums are still out with nights of 3-5 C. Maybe for another couple of weeks. :evil:

I still have my two cymbidiums outside. I was putting them in the garage at night, but this past week I forgot and we had frost; there was frost/light ice on the leaves in the morning. Hope they will be okay. They're probably wondering what the hell is going on as the temperature today in my backyard is +25 C (77 F) after having snow last week....

Outside is the best way to grow orchids in summer. Until the tornado hits......

I only have a crawl space under my house filled with spider webs in summer. So if I ever get hit by a tornado, they'll probably hold the house down. :p

I only have a crawl space under my house filled with spider webs in summer. So if I ever get hit by a tornado, they'll probably hold the house down. :p
:rollhappy:

There's a frost warning here for tonight, so all my plants are now in for the season.

In Chicago, we'd actually leave our Parvis out until Halloween! Of course, they were protected in a cold frame and on particularly frosty nights, we'd use a small propane camping heater. Phals generally stayed in, but those that traveled in and out- the phals were the last out and the first in.

55 night lows is a good rule of thumb IMO. A night or two at 50 is no big deal. Take advantage of your microclimates! Move plants closer to the house, try to cover them if you can...

In NYC, we usually get the first frost about mid-November...sometimes not until December. Still, I try to have all plants in by the first week of November. Its not like they will do any more growing if left outside.

Thanks for all the replies and input!! This forum really rocks- so many helpful orchid growers so ready to answer questions and give advice!!

Eric- Good luck with the clean up after the storm!! It must have been very frightening! Glad you and your family were OK!

Back