Summer fires

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
Small note to give you the reverse of the cold many are feeling, we are entering our 4th or 5th day straight of 40c+ ( 104f+) temps. The top so far recorded has been 46c (113f).
There 2 major fires burning in the east of my state that have now joined up and threatening atleast 2 towns. So far the fires have burnt 4666Ha or 11530 acres. There are 115 actual firefight appliances on scene with an average of 5 crew members. There are a large number of smaller units there as well plus management. As I understand it, there have been atleast 6 homes lost already plus many farm and out buildings.
Just to add to the problems, because of the heat, power supplies are being cut or being blacked out to help the load factor. Some homes have been or without power for up to 30 hours.

The heat is just relentless isn't it. Like the previous week, today will be another day around 100F with no respite for at least the next week. I can't remember such a long hot spell. There are fires near Canberra so there is lots of smoke although not close enough to be any danger.

Still, here it is nowhere near as hot as you guys around Melbourne and Adelaide where it has been consistently above 40oC.

David

Too bad we can't send you some of our cold and precipitation and exchange it for some of your heat. Such extremes -- I suppose are part of the global warming, but we sure aren't feeling warming this Winter!

Too bad we can't send you some of our cold and precipitation and exchange it for some of your heat. Such extremes -- I suppose are part of the global warming, but we sure aren't feeling warming this Winter!

Climate scientists say this part of Australia (SE) will become increasingly hotter and dryer as the planet warms. It will be one of the worst areas affected by climate change. So we better get used to it. It is not going to get any better.

The climate definately seems different to when I was younger. So much more extreme. I remember times when you would get steady rain for days. The only rain we get now are through tremendous thunderstorms that are over pretty quickly.

David

UPDATE as of 1.10 PM today, 17 houses confirmed lost. The fire is burning toward an open cut coal mine which supplies one of the larger power stations supplying the state and panic is now the order of the day. If the station or the coal mine goes down the whole state is in a major crisis.
BTW, the two original fires which have joined up to make one huge fire where deliberately lit.

Another update. Confirmed, 23 houses lost and 29 out buildings. Fire appears to be halted from open cut mine and power station.
Had a dry thunderstorm in area over last 3 hours, only one fire started by lightning, now under control. NOT near us thankfully.

Back