succulent ID

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

OK I know there's someone out there that's involved in succulents - can you ID this one? The best description is it looks like a pile of sticks, branches are about 3-4" long, yes it's a mottled color of pink & gray/brown, almost reptilian like and has these itty bitty yellow flowers at the tips.
Thanks!
mysterysucculent001.jpg
mysterysucculent002.jpg
mysterysucculent004.jpg

A long shot...but its conceivably a type of stapeliad, with a very small flower...

It's a ceropegia, related to ceropegia woodii, string-of-hearts. I had one very similar and killed it. At least that's my guess...

Rose - it is funny that you have one of these, I just picked up one Saturday. You have Euphorbia platyclada. Most Euphorbia have a tiny flower with 5 symetrical 'parts' (I don't know the right word), then this tiny flower is surounded by bracts, which are modified leaves. In E. millii it is two red bracts, in Poinsettia it is a whorl of red or colored leaves. I am fairly certain you have E. platyclada, one of the Euphorbs that does not have colorful bracts surrounding the flower. Really fun looking dead stick plant. Don't ask me what it needs to stay alive, I have only had mine 5 days and I have not done my homework yet. Let me know what you find out. It is from Africa, or Madegascar, but I don't know more precisely than that.

Leo's correct. :) It's Euphorbia platyclada and it's from Madagascar. Cool plant!

:clap::clap: I knew you guys would come through! Brian :eek: you were right! He emailed me that it was in the euphorbia family, but that didn't sound right to me, but this is coming from the one that had it ID'd on ebay several years ago & forgot where she wrote it down! :crazy:

I don't remember exactly where I got it, it wasn't labeled, I'm guessing Geimer's Greenhouse, he has/had alot of different succulents. I can grow it quite easily & cuttings root easily as well. I have it in 50/50 potting soil & sand, so it's a fast draining mix & has a fairly decent root system. It's at the south end of the GH and has no problem handling night time lows of 50-55. In the summer, it has definite growth spurts & in stronger light the pink intensifies.
I like weird & wonderful! Never considered it FUGLY, watch your mail!

Are the flower parts called tepals?

Sepals and petals collectively may be called tepals, especially if they are similar in appearance as in a lily. If I remember correctly, In Euphorbia what may appear to be a single flower is really a compound structure of several flowers surrounded by a ring of 5 small bracts called an involucre.

Latest posts

Back