Strange leaf on Cattleya

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is Rlc. Dee and Andy (Rlc. Cruzan Fire x Rlc. Lakeland Britt). I gave this to a friend and it’s blooming now. Blooms are nice but the leaf is a mess. I’ve never seen this. Any ideas? It’s not one I virus tested.

Attachments

• 0310641D-5099-4060-B8E5-A6784A7FE83E.jpeg
    0310641D-5099-4060-B8E5-A6784A7FE83E.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 98EBF170-91AA-456F-A43B-7230569B3D70.jpeg
    98EBF170-91AA-456F-A43B-7230569B3D70.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 2
It looks to be more developmental issues than virus. The growth may have been damaged early on as it started out and this is the result. I’d would expect it to produce a normal growth next year.

It looks to be more developmental issues than virus. The growth may have been damaged early on as it started out and this is the result. I’d would expect it to produce a normal growth next year.
That would be good news!! It’s not clear in the photo, but that leaf’s pseudobulb is considerably shorter than the previous ones, so that might be consistent with your theory. Any idea what could have caused it re culture/environment. She grows it among other plants on a sunny windowsill. I’ll find out more.

I have seen similar oddities when young growth suffer insect damage. Even if addressed quickly, some of the subsequent cell growth continued to be crippled.

I liken it to hitting a fingernail cuticle while hammering. Once the pain and bruise are gone, the nail might grow with a “groove” for some time to come.

Deb, I got one of these about the same time as you did, but mine didn’t thrive and I threw it. I think the tag is wrong in two ways. First, there is no Lakeland Britt registered hybrid, only Lakeland, so I think ’Britt’ is the cultivar of Lakeland that was used. Secondly, there is no registered Dee and Andy! So, I think OL must have given it a name but never followed through on the official registration. Since I threw my plant, I didn’t follow through with Jerry about the registration. This resulting hybrid has over 20 different species in it so there could be great variation in the plants from the cross.

Deb, I got one of these about the same time as you did, but mine didn’t thrive and I threw it. I think the tag is wrong in two ways. First, there is no Lakeland Britt registered hybrid, only Lakeland, so I think ’Britt’ is the cultivar of Lakeland that was used. Secondly, there is no registered Dee and Andy! So, I think OL must have given it a name but never followed through on the official registration. Since I threw my plant, I didn’t follow through with Jerry about the registration. This resulting hybrid has over 20 different species in it so there could be great variation in the plants from the cross.
Terry, I remember that yours didn’t make it and mine was not impressive either, so I gave it away. Like you, I needed the room. I was surprised to see the bloom as it’s nicer, I think, than Jerry’s photo. Thanks for the background. She’s growing it in a SW window and the plant has come along better than I thought, except for this leaf. Hopefully she’ll get a handle on the mealy bugs. I’ve offered advice.

Back