Stonei spiking

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job Rick. So it takes about a year to bloom once you see the sheath? Can you tell how many buds you have?

Nice job Rick. So it takes about a year to bloom once you see the sheath? Can you tell how many buds you have?

I wouldn't say this is SOP for the species. Probably just the timing of the growth caught it too late in the season to bloom last summer.

The kolo that bloomed for me this year also put up it's sheath at the same time, but the first time it bloomed the sheath came up in late winter, and just blew right through a few months later.

I've seen 3 bracts so far, but they are still really bunched tight.

WHAAAT!? Mine has a 24" l.s. and just repotted to an 8" pot, the roots were unbelievable, I knew what it was doing last summer!:p I got mine from Paphiness almost 2 yrs. ago, I believe Dean got them from OZ. It's Melancholy x Penan Pride.

SOOO JEALOUS! Mine kicked the bucket in record time. Lower leaves dropped almost immediately, and it was gone in two months. I never go back and complain to vendors, but damn I was pissed about that one. It wasn't cheap.

SOOO JEALOUS! Mine kicked the bucket in record time. Lower leaves dropped almost immediately, and it was gone in two months. I never go back and complain to vendors, but damn I was pissed about that one. It wasn't cheap.
OOOHHH NO!! :sob: MAJOR BUMMER! Sorry to hear that.

Dot - I've been growing this one with my other multis so it's been getting the strongest light I have. I've been going by Lance's recommendations in his book & he says bright to moderately bright light. Under special comments - strong light, a good well draining mix, airy or roots will rot & water well.
Let's take this to Eric's growing thread!

Nice Buds Rick! I think it is going to be nice and I do remember the cross 'Harland' x 'The Best' from Orchid Inn. 'Harland' came from Ray Rands from what Orchid Inn flask catalog stated. I found that they are very good growers.

Paphman910

Nice Buds Rick! I think it is going to be nice and I do remember the cross 'Harland' x 'The Best' from Orchid Inn. 'Harland' came from Ray Rands from what Orchid Inn flask catalog stated. I found that they are very good growers.

Paphman910

Where have you been lately Paphman??

Looking beautiful, Rick! I've never met a stonei I didn't like, it's the nicest multi to me.

Yup that's one intense flower(s)!!! I bet it's awardable. Dang that is nice.

It's bigger than I expected, but within the taxonomic description. The color is nice but looks pretty much like it should too, so I can't imagine it would be awardable. But I like it allot:)

Very few stonei have been awarded, mostly because there are very few people who bloom them. You might be surprised, yours looks worth dragging to a judging session somewhere.

Latest posts

Back