spicerianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice but is it really a true spicerianum? For me, even if the staminode is very similar to spicerianum, it's not thie specie. Form is different, color of pouch is different, dorsal is different etc...

Yeah, I'm thinking there is a little charlesworthii in there... but this could simply be one extreme of natural variation. Without better evidence, all I can say is "congrats on the good looking spicerianum!"

Really a nice and interesting flower! Congrats! A really hard way of line breeding and selection to this point of shape, I guess. I'm impressed.

But it starts to be not longer a P. spicerianum at this point, at least for me.

The colors are right. I have four plants all from the same seed pod, two have green pouches the other two have brown. strong inbreeding going on. The dorsal might reflex more with age.

I don't care if the dorsal is not reflexed. It's a lovely spice and a great picture.

this is (spicerianum StAlbum HCC/AOS x self) x spicerianum StAlbum HCC/AOS
thanks

Maybe is it HCC X HCC X FCC X AOS, etc...

But if there's only spicerianum in this flower(what I don't believe), it's for me a good (or bad...) example of too much selection.

I prefer really the wild color and form. It's a personnal advice.:)

An example of hybrid:

paph__la_honda_x_spicerianum.jpg

It looks an awful lot like my Paph. Bruno.

Yes Slipperfan, I agree, it's probably Paph Bruno!

With all growers experimented of this forum, I'm surprised that just a minority noted that.

There are too often so-called selected plants that are actually hybrids. It is time it stopped.

It's not against you, Ice, just a general statement.

Very beautiful spicerianum!:)

While the flower is similar to Paph Bruno (and why wouldn't it be; Bruno is 75% spicerianum), I would not jump to judgment. Unless there is an obvious error, I prefer to accept the name as given by the owner, unless disputed by an experienced taxonomist.

75% spicerianum is not spicerianum...

It's not possible to be sure. I agree with that. But when we see wild forms of spicerianum, this one is FOR ME too far of the original form.

I think a forum is also interesting for that. I have also in my collection some plants with doubt. So, I'm careful with the names.

My problem (I confess!:D) is that I hate to see a flower with award when the flower is not the real specie... it's a mistake and I don't understand how judges can do that...?

But if Ice like this flower, it's the most important.;)

@NYEric: I don't understand what you mean?

If the name is wrong, it doesn't matter whose collection it is in. It's still wrong. If a hybrid gets judged as a species, shame on the judges! IMO

Latest posts

Back