Sphagnum ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAAlbert

Reaction score
Hi there:

Is anyone having luck growing Paphs and Phrags in PURE sphagnum?

I have read ups and downs. I have some plants growing in pure sphag that seem to like it it; just pulled a couple out of their pots and saw lots of roots with nice growing root tips.

I can't say for sure whether this sphagnum is the 'sheet moss' variety that is easy to find in garden centers, or New Zealand shphagnum.

Of course, I know that Paphs and Phrags can rot in any medium, and that they can thrive in so many -- so please just answer about sphagnum!!!! :):):)

Best wishes,

Vic Albert.

Sphagnum is a good growing media for many orchids, but when it gets dry, il's very hard to wet again. Personnally, I like it better mixed with bark and sponge rock.

Thanks for your reply!! -- my limited experience with the slippers in pure sphagnum is the same, but that if you don't let them dry completely, this problem doesn't arise.

Any more thoughts out there?

Vic.

Vic, you don't mention what types of paphs you grow. I could see where the barbata types might do well. I have reservations, it's that at what point does it sour & needs changing.

The ones that I have now that are rooting nicely when you plop the whole kit and caboodle out of the pot for a second are Paph. armeniacum and Paph. micranthum. My Barbatas aren't rooting nearly as well in their bark mix. I can certainly see that degredation of sphagnum would be bad keeping them a long time this way, but my thinking had been at least yearly repottings. I'd like to have one substrate for everything, incl. Phrags, to avoid trouble.

Best again,

V.

Following Candace's example, I have most of my phrags in sphagnum, and they are very happy. I have read on this forum that sphagnum does not do well for paphs, because of the effect it has on the pH. The exception is Paph. delenatii, which likes some sphag in the mix.

Well, the Paph armeniacums and Paph micranthums are putting out new roots like gangbusters -- these aren't "supposed to be" sphag lovers like delenatii. So, I'm wondering about the generality of sphagnum as a good root promoter in ADULT plants, so long as the moss hasn't decayed too much!

Are your parvis in a basket versus a solid pot? I could see them doing quite well in sphag.

Nope, they are in regular plastic pots! I've tried a Paph druryi and a Phrag lindleyanum too, but too early to tell about their root growth.

Keep on sending infor and opinions!

Vic.

I have a bunch of young seedlings growing in straight NZ sphagum moss. There are roths. a couple of brachy and a few parvies. All seems well but I won't leave them in that forever. I'm talking about plants that were doing poorly and young. These are all in 2" pots and many of them have 2,3 or even 4 plants in each. I pulled one today that the tag read 4 little ones all with no roots. Two survived and grew new roots and two are now dead and sent to orchid heaven.

Hi Bob:

OK, so why the switch after youth? Bad experiences, evil stories heard, or bad vibes?

Thanks,

Vic.

I just know that ones that have a good root system and can each stay in there own 2" pot that I need not worry about keeping the spagnum from drying out. That way I can just water them all on my normal watering schedule. When I was away in May for 3 weeks I leave it to my neighbor to water my plants. There is no way that she does it properly. Upon coming home only 2 days after she waters the spagnum was bone dry. That tells me she just waters the whole greenhouse quickly. This Sept. when I leave for 3 weeks I'm taking my compots with me. Come to think of it, even the phals in 4" pots with spagnum were dry. But being grown ups, they can take the abuse for a few weeks.

I am now growing several paphs in NZ sphagnum + polystyrene on a very small scale (windowsill growing). :eek: That's because I bought a whole bag of sphagnum for repotting and I have no experience with bark media. The paphs (rescued liemianum, Dellaina and delenatii x Gold Dollar) are now very happy, growing new leaves and roots. They are grown in regular polystyrene drinking cups with many holes poked through (because I'm a cheapskate :p)... Also have bifrenaria tyrianthina and a Brazilian miltonia hybrid growing in the same fashion...

I have some multiflorals in pure sphag.. like dianthum, anitum, stonei, and hybrids like Harold Koopowitz and others... they seem to like it as much as a bark mix in my conditions.

Latest posts

Back