• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sources of Phrag kovachii Hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Parvi - I think John at Zephyrus Orchids has PK hybrids. He's in Ontario. I just checked his website and he has all of the hybrids listed as Sold Out, but he has had some great ones and you may want to give him a call and see if he has more or is willing to sell you a couple that he still may have. Also, Glen at Piping Rock has PK hybrids and Im quite sure he has CITES permits to ship. Since you are looking for kovachii hybrids and not straight kovachii species plants, it will be MUCH easier to get them into Canada. Hybrids aren't regulated nearly as strictly as Appendix I species...so, try those first. If no luck, bump your post and we'll put all of our brains together to help you out ;)

Go with Piping Rock, It is difficult to get the other 3 to send to Canada. But if your going to order from Orchid View, let me know...

Orchids Limited is another source, Jason will probably be coming to Canada again in 09.

Kyle

Thanks for that info Kyle.

I'm going to ask them this anyway, but does anyone know if Piping Rock's $1500 "overseas" minimum order applies to Canada? There's no way I could possibly afford that much!

I forgot to add, Piping rock does come to Canada from time to time. So you can get around the minimum order, you just have to get by the sub zero weather. You should see if you can get him invited to speak at your society. I asked him to come to Winnipeg and he said sure, we just haven't worked out the details.

I don't know if Peter Crozen in still in buisness. Although his species seedlings are from the same source, they are generally regarded as being lower quality then Glen Deckers seedlings. The kovachii seedlings I have seen from Orchids Limited are top notch as well.

Kyle

I forgot to add, Piping rock does come to Canada from time to time. So you can get around the minimum order, you just have to get by the sub zero weather. You should see if you can get him invited to speak at your society. I asked him to come to Winnipeg and he said sure, we just haven't worked out the details.

I don't know if Peter Crozen in still in buisness. Although his species seedlings are from the same source, they are generally regarded as being lower quality then Glen Deckers seedlings. The kovachii seedlings I have seen from Orchids Limited are top notch as well.

Kyle

I got pure kovachii seedlings from Peter when they first became available. They were very small and perished within two months after I got them (which is probably my fault as I am not experienced with such tiny seedlings). I am waiting for larger kovachii seedlings to come available before I try it again. Anyway, it seems he is out of business. I will see if I can get Glen over to Edmonton. Thanks for all your help!

I don't know about that...Glen at Piping Rock is certainly the one here in the US- http://home.golden.net/~orchids/kovachii.html Check out this link- ??
The 3 growers that were granted the plants to work with were from Peru, US-(Glen) and The above link...Good luck

Thanks for the link - it seems Green Canyon is out of business though. I'll get something worked out.

:eek: Sorry... I knew that the 3 were the growers originally..I didn't know Green Canyon went out of business. :( I think that Glen is your best bet! :)

I'm pretty sure that Peter and the connection with he and Glen has been dissolved. Ron would know for sure. Actually, I think Glen and Alfredo are the only two still partners in that.

I saw Glen's Pk seedlings in early November and they looked great (he is a great speaker and educator too - fabulous for a society meeting.) I am a little biased though, I work with him at two of our local shows and always have a blast.

"Actually I doubt anyone from the USA will ship the species out of country because of CITES."

Pure PK don't need CITES to enter Canada as long as they are in flask. Anything in flask is not subject to CITES regulations.

I'm not orchidsolo (Orchids of Los Osos). I use gonewild here on the forum.
I can't ship pk to canada. Actually I doubt anyone from the USA will ship the species out of country because of CITES.

I'm actually not looking to buy the species right now anyway, but it is good to know for future reference that you don't ship Pk to Canada - thank you.

"Actually I doubt anyone from the USA will ship the species out of country because of CITES."

Pure PK don't need CITES to enter Canada as long as they are in flask. Anything in flask is not subject to CITES regulations.

This is very good info (thanks!), although I don't think I'll be ordering any flasks anytime soon.

Glen Decker and Orchids Limited have CITES to export phrag kovachii plants (out of flask) to Canada. Both have done so in the past year.

Kyle

Latest posts

Back