Sorcerer's Apprentice 92 pts

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Hera

This one isn't mine, but I took pictures of it at the show in Pittsburgh put on by the Orchid Society of Western Penn. It earned 92 pts. FCC.

Attachments

• P1010124email.jpg
    P1010124email.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 142
True but F-C-C!!!???

Well I didn't see the paperwork, but that's what I was told while I was at the show. I'm sure about the points, but the rest.... there was a lot of buzz going on about the plant and that was what was being said. Now I'm curious to find out the details.

I'll need to read the official description for that one. Hera, do you know the name given to this cultivar?

Oops! Got the answer before I even wrote.

Sorry but that's NOT Sorcerer's Apprentice. It's a hybrid of one but that is NOT, I repeat NOT S. Apprentice
It looks like my Intel's Tears

Good lord, I should know better than to open my mouth unless I have the nitty gritty details. These were the facts as I was told them. I was just excited that there was something awarded so many points at a show that I went to. It was my husband's first time at a show too, and he was very impressed by the beauty and diversity.

Obviously I don't have enough facts for the pros, did anyone else go to the OSWP show?

This is SA
Pyufului1-08.jpg

PYFL4.jpg

PSorcerersApprentice09-4.jpg

Inti's Tears
pintistears3.jpg

Sorry Hera, I know you are just the messanger. I agree with Rick that it is mislabelled. But rather than Inti's Tears, I would guess that it is Phrag Les Dirouilles (Sorcerer's Apprentice x Grande), Eric Young Foundation first made this cross as the 4N form, and years later remade by Fritz Schomburg. He created a huge number of flasks of this cross using 4N parents some 6 or 8 years ago, most were whole-saled through Quintal Farms in Hawaii. The tags used by Quintal Farms at that time had the bad tendancy to fade and become hard to read. If the exhibitor missed the x Grande part on the tag, that's where the mistake was made. There are quite a number of mature seedlings of this cross around. No way is that photo of Sorcerer's Apprentice, but Les Dirouilles is quite possible.

I can't promise it is or it isnt a SA, but I had the same thought as Rick...it looked like my Inti's Tears...nicer than mine though and a real polyploid from the looks of the pouch
lowiifriends001.jpg

lowiifriends004.jpg

A bunch of these came out, some SA 4N x wars. 'Ron'. Two or three have been awarded, as Inti's Tears...

So Hera, please don't feel bad. The 'jumping' that you are seeing is because guys like Rick and myself are really tired of AOS judging centers getting obvious identification problems wrong. And what is worse, once an award is published, the AOS has no provision to go back and correct the mistakes. So we tend to jump up and down a lot, mostly out of frustration.

We know it was not your plant, and I think I will quietly give a polite call down to someone I know in the Cinncinnatti judging center. Hopefully they are still in the loop and able to look into this.

Thanks for letting us know about it.
Leo

P.S. Actually I have seen fewer errors in the Phrag identification the last 5 or 10 years, AOS jugdes have been trying to be more careful. But this one is an obvious mistake.

i agree with all of you guys, its not Sorcerer's Apprentice, Leo probably has it right.. and regardless which SA cross it is, its just not an FCC. this is what ive been talking about lately, it seems, in a bunch of threads about awards.. i feel like FCC's should like never be given out... or extremely rarely.. a 85-89 point AM is super high.. FCC is like.. i dunno. perfect.

Thanks for having patience with me guyes, I was just excited. Usually I take pics of the plant and the tag right after, but with having husband and child in tow, I was trying to snap quick pics and keep moving. The info I had was from other people from the show.

Can we un-award something that just got awarded? sorry I have a feeling that is a stupid question.

I hope it was not a FCC, but an accident by Hera (no offence)

And do they change the names of the awards that are wrong inside the database which the judges use? Obviously the measurements on those mislabelled plants should not be used for comparing plants. (or maybe they should add notes under them or something)
There is schlimii 'wilcox' and a handful of hangianum hybrids that are labelled as emersonii (like Sugar Suite). I doubt all judges can tell the difference with the recent hangianum mix ups!

Latest posts

Back