Sophronitis cernua

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. Plant habit looks like cernu, flowers look a little different and big. Maybe is 4n

Really chunky looking plant and relatively big flowers. I don't have a reason to doubt it is a 4n, as long as you feel that designation was given by a normally reliable source.

BTW: I have a friend who has a cernua that always blooms for her in the spring. Yet, my cernua always blooms in the fall, as this one is doing now. Does anybody have a cernua that blooms in the spring? Are there 2 races of cernua? Or, do you think that perhaps my friend's plant may not be the pure species. I haven't seen a photograph of it.

BTW: I have a friend who has a cernua that always blooms for her in the spring. Yet, my cernua always blooms in the fall, as this one is doing now. Does anybody have a cernua that blooms in the spring? Are there 2 races of cernua? Or, do you think that perhaps my friend's plant may not be the pure species. I haven't seen a photograph of it.

John,
My oldest and most mature cernua blooms twice a year and is in bloom now as well. However, the spring/summer blooming it only has 1-2 flowers whereas the Nov-Dec blooming usually has 5 or so. I'm pretty sure that my plant I am referring to is a diploid. Here's the link to a previous post of it:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32436&highlight=cernua

Thanks naoki and Eron. Good info and food for thought. I'll pass this along to my friend.

Eron, I've had my cernua for about 25 years. I also had 2 other clones; but, they died in recent years as I've been keeping my greenhouse cooler in the winter to save cost and this species does NOT like that. The clone I have left, 'Charlie', also had rot issues in each of the last 3 or 4 winters. I was too slow to recognise what the problem was before the other two clones were gone. Anyway, all 3 clones always bloomed for me in the fall, never have I had any cernua flowers at any other time. This new species is interesting (thanks for the link naoki) and the fact that you, Eron, get cernua blooms in the spring is also interesting to note. I guess ALL the cernuas have not read the books!

Latest posts

Back