Some more greenhorns

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Here are a couple forms of the common Australian "greenhorn", Pterostylis nutans. This plant is really easy to grow, perhaps being the easiest of all terrestrial orchids I've ever tried (I've tried many, grew a few, and killed many!). Typically they increase 4 or even 6 fold in just one season. They are winter growers, late winter bloomers, and summer dormant.

Pt. nutans - normal form backlit:

PtNutansPair.jpg

A face-off between the alba and the normal:

PtNutansAlbaGRN.jpg

And the alba alone:

PtNutansAlbaUPCL.jpg

The alba form is rare in cultivation and a bit slower to increase compared to the regular one. Oh, I should mention, these are small flowers, under an inch in size.

Glad you all enjoyed these little monsters. That alba nutans is around 5 inches tall, so that should give you an idea of their size. A couple more:

P. curta, front end view:

PtCurta.jpg

The natural hybrid between P. nutans and P. curta, P. Nodding Grace:

PtNoddingGrace.jpg

All of these grow like weeds for me. Honestly, hands down the easiest terrestrial orchids I've ever had the pleasure to grow. Easier than Bletilla even. Of course you need to give them what they want for them to do well:

1. Free draining woodland soil, 50% organic, 50% inorganic. Humus rich loam and sand work well.

2. Partial shade, constant moisture, but not wet (sorry Eric).

3. Winter growing and flowering, summer dormant. They usually start growth mid fall, flower in late winter/early spring, and go dormant around late spring. While in growth temperatures should be between 40-60 F. In summer keep them absolutely dry, and I do mean absolutely dry, and commence watering once growth starts. Don't put them in the fridge! They, like the tropical Habenaria of SE Asia, need a warm, dry dormancy (above 70 degrees). No water or they will rot or start growing too early.

4. Use very dilute fertilizer or better yet simply repot every couple years into new compost.

Just that easy. The hard part is finding some!

Latest posts

Back