Bletilla striata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
I don't normally post non-slipper photos on this forum; but, here is a neat terrestrial that I like and it's common enough that anybody who wants to try one should be able to find it.

2583.jpg

2584.jpg

Cultural info:
It took just 7 weeks for my Bletilla plants to go from completely dormant to blooming. I've got 2 plants in separate pots. I allowed my plants to remain outside last fall and go dormant naturally. Then, I put them into my unheated family room, right on a cold, leaky, draughty windowsill (which was very likely much colder than the ambient ~40-somthing * F of the rest of the room). Although, they did not get down to freezing, they had to be very close. I took the dormant pots out of the cold and put them into the greenhouse on January 12, in the warmest, brightest spot.

{Day temps in their new location have been about 70*F - 75*F on cloudy days and up to 85+*F for a few hours on sunny afternoons. Nighttime temps have been about 60*F - 64*F.}

Three days later, I repotted them out of the coconut husk based orchid mix they grew in last summer and put them into ProMix HP. I changed the medium because I thought that the tuberoids should've been larger and the blooming last summer was nothing spectacular in terms of bud count. So I decided that they probably needed more food than just the little I give my tropical, epiphytic orchids. ProMix has a fertilizer included that I am hoping will give the plants a bit of a boost at the start this year and help to improve next year's flower count.

I also upsized from a 6" clay pot to a 7" clay pot for each plant. They had grown quite a bit (last summer) and had multiple leads; although while repotting, I managed to break off 2 leads from each plant's tuberoid! I was using my fingers to clean away the old potting medium instead of a jet of water. I had forgotten how very delicate and brittle the growing points can be! Even so, that left one plant with 4 leads and the other, 6 leads, still intact. I watered just a little until I saw new growth about 3 days later. Once the growths were about 3" tall (about 10 days later) and the leaves were unfurling, I began watering regularly as well as standing the pots in an inch of water 24/7.

They grew REALLY fast! Each plant has a mix of both "blind" and flowering growths (2 growths on each plant has a flower spike). The first flower opened on Monday. Now, there are 2 flowers open. The flower count is low (just two flowers on this first spike that is blooming). The other spike on that plant looks like it will only have 2 or 3 buds in total. The other plant is a few days behind; but, it's got sturdier spikes that will each have 3 flowers....still, not so great. This species can have up to a dozen flowers per spike. Of course, these are blooming on the strength that they stored last summer. So, with heavier feeding this season and a better soil mixture, I expect to get a better flower count next year. Also, I'm wondering if the pastel colour varieties are simply less robust and just won't ever grow as tall and hold as many flowers as the regular purple form?

I like them!!! I found quite a few over the years in different supermarkets here around (Lux, Germany), was able to flower the tubers, but afterwards they always died away!:eek:! I left them outside for winter! Jean

Jean, it's too bad that they died. They're not a very hardy species. I can't keep them alive out in my gardens either. However, I do have a few planted right up against the house foundation and the warmth from the house keeps them alive. They come up every year and have been doing this for about 15 years. Also, I planted a bunch right on top of my septic tank, which is in the middle of a small lawn near the house. The septic tank lid is only about 12 inches below the ground. So again, the heat coming from the tank keeps the earth directly above it from getting too cold, even though just a few feet in any direction would be certain death to the tubers.

They're relatively hardy but not cold tolerant. They used to be available in Garden Centers [Home Depot incl] in the NYC area. Thanx for sharing.

My pink and white forms have been bloming for weeks now...almost finished in fact. All my shoots had blooms with up to 7 on a spike (applies to both the regular and white forms). I find the white to be equally as robust as the pink. I seem to do well with these.

I do have an 'aurea' form which is just spiking...it will be a first time bloomer. I have expect it will turn out white but I may be pleasantly surprised....we'll see shortly! Strange that I started them all off on the same date and they are growing side by side yet the aurea one is weeks behind the others.

Jo, I treid them outside too..I figured all my snow would be good insulation but I guess not....realistically they are hardy to about zone 7 without extra protection.

That's about right. Any further north and they need more than just snow for protection.....they need a little heat, like what mine get from the house foundation and the others get from the septic tank right below them.

My pink and white forms have been bloming for weeks now...almost finished in fact. All my shoots had blooms with up to 7 on a spike (applies to both the regular and white forms). I find the white to be equally as robust as the pink. I seem to do well with these.

Seems that you've got a very special white clone. I've never found the alba clones or the pale pink clones to be anywhere near as robust as the normal, hot purple clones. Ed M has noticed the same thing with his plants. If you're getting that kind of blooming from potted white ones, you're doing EXTREMELY well. Either it's your clone; or, you've found the secret to grow these to their best. So, what do you do? Potting material? Water? Feed? Etc.? Thanks!

Not outdoors, right?! :confused: [translation: 'Not outdoors, eh!?']

I do have an 'aurea' form which is just spiking...it will be a first time bloomer. I have expect it will turn out white but I may be pleasantly surprised....we'll see shortly! Strange that I started them all off on the same date and they are growing side by side yet the aurea one is weeks behind the others.

Very beautiful flower!!!! I have tried the purple form but I killed it after some months! I may try it again!!!!

Mine survived a mild winter in Zone 5 (with protection), but the next winter was normal, and even with extra protection, they succumbed.

Very pretty, though. Wonderful frilly lip.

Mine are potted in a mix of top soil, leaf mould, compost, sand and peat. I will keep them green as long as possible in full sun. By August-Sept they start to go dormant. I keep them pretty dry then but not particularly cool, even though I stick them in the basement once the leaves have died. As the fall progresses, the temp will drop to 8-10 C. I do give them water now and them. Often, by late jan-early Feb they are showing sprouts. i could keep them in the cool to slow them down but generally I bring them into sun and gentle heat (12-15 C, maybe warmer on sunny days). I repot them before I bring them into the warmth. They are fertilized with a weak solution of 20-20-20 every two weeks. I restrict them to a deep 6" pot...if they outgrow, I divide them. One sent a sprout out of the drainage hole this year!

Mine have been coming up every year and blooming every June for...maybe 20 years? Certainly a long time.....I've even had to divide them when they got too big.

Very impressive, Todd. Hmmmm? Kinda' makes me feel silly for posting my wimpy 2-flowered spike. This stem on your plant is so much more impressive than mine.

Latest posts

Back