Sodium toxic level for orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trouble with the leaf data is that we don't have the subsrate and/or water data to compare with it. It is one thing to know what the plant is taking up but we really need to know what is available to it as those two sets of data may be different. Then we could have a better understanding of the plant's ecology.

I think ST should fund an expedition to send you up to Krabi to collect tissue samples Mike.

I do think its funny that Na is so neglected in the hort. literature. Maybe its so ubiquitous in irrigation waters that nobody cares any more.

I see water reports from all around the world and its pretty rare to not see at least a few ppm of NaCl in surface and well waters. In lots of farming regions I see pretty high NaCl in surface waters compared to what we'd ever consider safe for orchids.

I can't recall which leaf litter data I was looking at a ways back and saw a fair amount of Na in it.

I think ST should fund an expedition to send you up to Krabi to collect tissue samples Mike.

I agree. With a stopover in PNG and Philippines and Vietnam. $70,000 or 80,000 US should just about cover it. Come to think of it, there's the guides, car rental, pay-offs and bribes, tips.......Better make it an even 100.

Back