Slugs and snails

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My green house is too porous to keep them out, so when they get out of control then I use either the metalhyde or iron phosphate brands with equal effectiveness. I have gotten both into pots in small amounts with no obvious problems, but I've only purposely tossed some onto Catts, which don't seem to care about much of anything.

The iron phosphate seems to be a good bait to "attract" the slugs away from the plants. So tossing the stuff along walls and between pots on benches seems to be adequate to draw them away from the plants in most cases.

I didn't have much luck with beer. Maybe need allot more trap sites than what I used.

I did try the caffine solution some 6 years ago. At the time I could get lab reagent grade caffine. (alas, no longer true). The article I used to based my dose rate on is on the work computer that I no longer have access to. I believe it was a 0.5% solution. It took me 15 gallons of spray to completely wet the foliage and drench all the pots in my collection once. I went through 500 grams of caffine, at a cost of about $125 for one 500 gram bottle of caffine. The treatment of a 1000 plant collection seemed to work, excellent results for a one time application. But because of the cost I did not follow up with repeat applications. The slugs came back after a while. I did get an unsightly residue on the leaves. It washed off in time. Unless I get a better suggestion, I think I will stick to metaldehyde and / or the iron phosphate.

to LanMark. that is horrible to find so many snails in a newly purchased plants. Shame on the seller, did you leave approiapriate feed back or atleast warn others. I've sold many plants through the mail and always dunked and quarantined them prior to shipping. Its the least any seller can do for the people who support them by buying their orchids.

to LanMark. that is horrible to find so many snails in a newly purchased plants. Shame on the seller, did you leave approiapriate feed back or atleast warn others. I've sold many plants through the mail and always dunked and quarantined them prior to shipping. Its the least any seller can do for the people who support them by buying their orchids.

Yes. I felt like a heel for doing it, but I posted positive feedback saying thanks for the large plant but check your other orchids for snails. :p I have had two different sellers on eBay send me plants quite badly infested with orchid snails. One snaily plant was also covered with Pink Hibiscus Mealy Bugs. One purchase is enough from a seller like that. I smile and say thank you. I leave polite appropriate feedback and move on. It's not worth the stress to have a cow about it, and asking for a replacement would likely get me another infested plant. :rolleyes:

I understand the occasional pest on a plant. Life happens. Plants being sold in a state of obvious and overwhelming infestion, on the other hand, truly is discourteous to the customer.

I'm prepared, whatever the case may be. All new plants are automatically placed in my quarantine area when they arrive at my home. Any pests or diseases are duly eradicated if possible or discarded if I can't remedy the situation. Only when I am certain they are completely clean do I place them with my other plants.

At the moment, I am convinced that my minor snail problem is a result of the last bag of sphag. bought from local home center. Bags are small, didn't have problem with previous bag.
I use the sphag for just out of flask, and problem is isolated with that tray of various small plants.

clark, you can take the small amount of sphagnum that you want to use and kill critters by putting it in a plastic bag with a little water and nuking it for a little while. can't remember where I heard this first, but if you are using moss that isn't 'clean' from somewhere and might have some of those metallic green flies eggs in it, this is a good way to quickly get rid of them

Thank you. And more than you'll ever know.
This brought back a childhood memory of my brother's advice to a punk that lived in the neighborhood-"Sure, you can cook whole fresh eggs in the micro"
Hehehe.
At the time, microwaves were the newest rage (at least in my neighborhood).
Thanks again, I have a good visual of future results.

Latest posts

Back