Silicon the forgotten macronutrient?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually not odd at all for toxicologists, but odd for chemists and engineers.

I find it odd because there is no evidence to support your assertion that potassium is toxic to plants unless the quantities are strictly controlled.

I have about 150 orchids that I have been cultivating for one to two years now (and a few much longer than that); I do not see any signs of this alledged potassium toxicity.

All of those references were pulled off the internet (though some articles I had to pay for). More than half of them have been linked to this site in various threads. Sometimes several times over the last 2 years, and by multiple contributors on ST.

You can challenge all you want. That's what they are there for. I find it more rude/inappropriate to challenge the material in the paper without knowing/understanding the material that went into it in the first place.
I have read the Orchids article several times and I do not see any even mildly compelling argument to support your potassium toxicity thesis. Generally, citations are given to support the information used to make an argument not to provide the argument itself but are you saying that the citations you gave contain some compelling argument in support of your potassium toxicity thesis that you did not present in the Orchids article?

However the results stand for themselves beyond the learning and understanding that went into the process in the first place. So if you want to challenge, then you need to come up with an explanation for the positive results that growers are getting with this system.
First, in these few anecdotal reports more than just potassium level has been changed. Also, there are many more people who do not use "K-lite" and who do not see this alledged potassium toxicity.

If I may throw my two cents in....

Much of Rick's thesis is based upon his work outside of orchids, in which he has seen a great deal of evidence that supports the notion of potassium toxicity in living entities. Reasearch into the biospheres where epiphytes originate support that the ion is in limited supply, so logically may be in very small demand and/or the plants might have evolved to it becoming a contaminant at higher dosages, rather than a beneficial nutrient. (Seems to me that is true of all nutrient ions.)

As a ceramic engineer and materials scientist, I see parallels within glass and ceramic systems in which the potassium ion is preferentially bound to crystal substructures where it can interfere with the target reactions. I have noted a lot of similar materials science-nature analogs over the years, so the fact that it may happen in living systems does not seem unfounded or far fetched at all.

One might also argue that "people who do not see this alleged potassium toxicity" 1) have not seen it yet, 2) don't know the reason for what their plants are demonstrating, or 3) they may never see it at all. There are pollutants we are exposed to that are considered "toxic", yet some will cruise on through life with no apparent issue, while others succumb.

I find it odd because there is no evidence to support your assertion that potassium is toxic to plants unless the quantities are strictly controlled.

I have about 150 orchids that I have been cultivating for one to two years now (and a few much longer than that); I do not see any signs of this alledged potassium toxicity.

After only two years growing orchids I would not expect you to be able to recognize the issues. The "alleged" Potassium toxicity issue is a long term affect and is not noticed in short term growth.

Do you know what Potassium toxicity looks like in orchids? What are you expecting to see?

If I may throw my two cents in....

Much of Rick's thesis is based upon his work outside of orchids, in which he has seen a great deal of evidence that supports the notion of potassium toxicity in living entities.
Yet when we were discussing this on OrchidBoard and I presented some data from barley, your dismissive response was "barley isn't an orchid". Yet you are happy to accept data about potassium toxicity in fresh water mussels as being relevant to orchids. If we are going to do that then why don't we extrapolate from saltwater fishes and conclude that orchids should be watered with a 3% sodium chloride solution.

Reasearch into the biospheres where epiphytes originate support that the ion is in limited supply,
At most that demonstrates that plants are able to selectively scavenge what they need.

so logically may be in very small demand and/or the plants might have evolved to it becoming a contaminant at higher dosages, rather than a beneficial nutrient. (Seems to me that is true of all nutrient ions.)
"Might have", yes, but no evidence that this is actually the case wrt potassium.

As a ceramic engineer and materials scientist, I see parallels within glass and ceramic systems in which the potassium ion is preferentially bound to crystal substructures where it can interfere with the target reactions. I have noted a lot of similar materials science-nature analogs over the years, so the fact that it may happen in living systems does not seem unfounded or far fetched at all.
Again, "might have". Speculation but no evidence.

One might also argue that "people who do not see this alleged potassium toxicity" 1) have not seen it yet
How many years does it take?

2) don't know the reason for what their plants are demonstrating,
Yes, or maybe it is invisible pink unicorns that are causing all the problems that I don't even know that my plants have.

or 3) they may never see it at all. There are pollutants we are exposed to that are considered "toxic", yet some will cruise on through life with no apparent issue, while others succumb.
Yes, this seems likely.

After only two years growing orchids I would not expect you to be able to recognize the issues. The "alleged" Potassium toxicity issue is a long term affect and is not noticed in short term growth.
So how many years does it take and why does it take so long? And assuming that it does take so long for ill effects to show up then doesn't this discredit the anecdotal reports of people seeing improvement in their plants just a few months after switching to "K-lite"?

Do you know what Potassium toxicity looks like in orchids? What are you expecting to see?
Rick has a long list of dire symtoms listed in the Orchids article; mostly culminating with death.

At most that demonstrates that plants are able to selectively scavenge what they need.

Some plants are 'Hoarders". Just like people they might eat what they want but that does not mean gluttony leads to a long life.

Yes, or maybe it is invisible pink unicorns that are causing all the problems that I don't even know that my plants have.

That is an ignorant statement.....Get your facts straight....
1. Unicorns don't cause problems they are the source of "good".
2. Unicorns are not pink.
3. Unicorns are not invisible, if they were they would not have a color.
4. You'll never understand #5.
5. Silica

[/QUOTE]

So your orchids basically only live 2 years? Except the few that have lived longer?
I don't believe that I said that but I will restate anyways:

Over the past 2 (actually 2 1/2) years I have purchased more than 160 plants and most are still alive and seemingly very healthy. The ones that are no longer alive were either destroyed because they were infected with CymMV or ORSV (about 10 plants) or they were from a batch of plants that came in bareroot (essentially no root) from Brazil last summer and approximately 25% of those never recovered. Of the few orchids that I acquired more than 2 1/2 years ago they are still all healthy except for a couple that one of my cats destroyed.

I doubt that "K-lite" would have saved the Brazilian imports. Being transported no-root from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere is a bit stressful to the plants.

I only have about half a dozen paphiopedilums. I have most every cattleya species and many laelia species then some catasetinae and an assortment of various other genera, mostly all species.

So how many years does it take and why does it take so long? And assuming that it does take so long for ill effects to show up then doesn't this discredit the anecdotal reports of people seeing improvement in their plants just a few months after switching to "K-lite"?

Rick has a long list of dire symtoms listed in the Orchids article; mostly culminating with death.

I realize that most people asscociate toxicity with short term lethality, but apparently you are missing 50% of the article. There are photos of 3 plants in the article that could be considered "case histories". As noted in the article none of them are dead, two were blooming, and one was even awarded pre low K feeding. Most growers would probably have considered these plants normal, or come up with all kinds of other excuses for sub par performance. Growth and bloom quality increased dramatically AFTER low K initiation. If it wasn't for low K feeding I would not have realized the true potential (not just 2 year life/death) of these three examples. But I have dozens more examples in my collection (though lack of before/after pictures).

Impairment (though still alive) is a demonstration of toxicity. As well as susceptablitiy to disease.
Short term improvements in growth, or reduction in disease incidence by reducing a toxicant are good evidence of the chronic toxicity issues associated with that particlur material. The references in the paper alude to these aspects.

Seems like you are more interested in debunking the paper rather than reading and understanding it. What's your agenda?

omg, i'm not usually prone to using internet abbreviations since i don't text (gasp), but omg omg omg lol :rollhappy:

I've tried politely to point out what i'll type out below before, and others have made similar statements in support of other points.

I don't believe that the whole point of the pk-lite testing is to 'prove' that it is the answer to all. Is klite 'right'? no.

is there one fertilizer regime that works for all orchids, in all conditions, with all cultural things that every different grower across the globe? no.

is it unreasonable to attack a desire to find out if something works or not, that is something that nobody has tried before? yes.

do we who are trying pk-lite think that it is the final 'answer' to fertilizing orchids? no. one food for all plants is beyond unreasonable

is it beyond unreasonable to attack an attempt to find out something new, and share what has been found? yes

is it better to collect the present amount of information gathered, and show it to a larger audience, so that constructive criticism can help to refine/redefine what testing might be needed, or just talk amongst selves and keep all to self, not allow observation/critique? better to put out and gather input/more information

have there been many purported statements through the years, about what 'works' for orchids? yes.

have they all worked? no.

are there many that haven't worked as described? yes.

are there people who grow their plants in ancient bark and never fertilize? yes.

are there people/vendors who throw any old fertilizer on their plants and they grow famously? yes (andy's orchids and probably others come to mind)

do all factors of plant nutrition depend on all of the different input? yes.

are limiting factors dependent solely on one other factor to control them? no.

are there a large number of growers who have used the more recent, improved blended fertilizers that see, in their conditions and methods, poor growth and death of plants? yes.

were there people before that who probably saw decline and/or death with what they were using, meaning a different fert before that? mostly likely yes.

is there large amounts of 'traditional' orchid growing information out there that were first printed in a newsletter by someone wanting to 'help' orchid growers have better plants, but that information was only pertinent to that environmental area they were writing from? (say florida, hawaii, california, new york; very specific and different climate and growing zones) yes.

are there other cultural advices that were presented from research about farm crops? yes.

are there cultural advices that have presented for a long time that were created by a company that had direct stock (so to speak) in the product, which had no scientific basis? yes.

do the people trying out the pk-lite experiment have 'stock' in fertilizer companies? I would say no, but don't think so is more accurate answer

are there lots of people that believe most of what comes along, without knowing if it is good or bad? yes.

are there people that want to know why their orchids are doing badly or dying? yes.

are there people who are willing to do general trials to try and see if something changes for the better? yes.

are there people who are getting carried away because they feel their point is being ignored or they feel that they must uncover some sort of fraud? yes.

are there people who feel that they must be 'right'? yes.

are some people getting tired because they have seen, over a long term, relationships between some things, and want to help others, but some just want to say 'nay' without becoming part of the process? yes.

are there people who have grown very large numbers of plants, not necessarily orchids, and can see relationships between uses of fertilizers and results, but aren't 'peer reviewed'? yes.

should everyone write down what they do, and point out if their culture shows 'good' or 'bad' results? (specifically important culture/environment/media/fertilizer etc points) yes.

all of these points have been made by many different people, collectively, during the course of the pk-lite idea tossing and very general trials. there are many more points, but my fingers are tired and probably nobody is still reading this far down :)

the whole thing is, there is lots of 'information' that is out there for orchid culture, and for a number of growers who have certain overall factors that cause limited growth or death of their plants, and they have tried other things with limited success/failure, have seen that trying this present stage of pk-lite, have seen some improvement over the past recent history of their growing. they would like to share this information with people who also have problems with their culture, to see if it helps. if it helps, then that is information. if it doesn't, that is information. there are growers who have such good growing conditions and other 'stuff', that they can grow apparently nice orchids that flower, while throwing either no fertilizer, or any fertilizer on their plants, and they apparently thrive. if someone has great results with no regard to what type of nutrients they supply, then by all means they should supply all of their pertinent conditions, so it can be seen, if possible, why this is so...

are there thousands of orchid species in the world? yes.
are there more thousands of orchid hybrids in the world? yes.
does everyone have their plants in the same conditions? no.
do they all use the same media/fert. water light pots etc no.
do the people trying out this pk-lite experiment think that it is the answer to all orchid problems? no (though that is my assumption/understanding)
will there always be people who can do well with their orchids no matter what they do to them (in general ) yes.
are there people who have that same kind of luck that they can be fishing in a boat with others, and the one catches all the fish, even though they are all using the exact same tackle? yes (but not me grrrr)

with all of this being a given, it puzzles me that there are people who are so vehement to try and 'disprove' that pk-lite may work. in some conditions it may very well help alleviate certain issues and allow better growth. if your conditions are in the sweet spot, then you may not need any particular fertilizer. msu-type fertilizer has been marketed or touted for a long time as being 'the answer' for growing orchids. there are lots of people/vendors who don't have success using these types, for their conditions. are there any people out on forums and such who are vehemently trying to 'disprove' that msu type fertilizers 'are the answer' and getting excited about it? I don't think so....

are plants perfect machines that take up this, put out that, perform exactly and always as expected according to the rules of physics/chemistry? no.

are there people who hate change of any kind, or take up personal feelings in relation to an idea, and don't like new things that come along? (distrust of the new or unfamiliar) heck yes. I heard some ridiculous examples of human nature on the radio yesterday.
also reviewing a historical perspective of scientific discovery, both in print and hearing on radio, reveals that any new idea usually leads to absolute refusal or rebuttal, even if true results point out a fact. people have died because they made a new discovery and people were so hard set that the new thing was 'wrong' that they would kill to prevent this information from being accepted. old ideas are held onto, stubbornly, tooth and claw, until such overwhelming evidence points out the new 'discovery' has merit, and then all jump on that bandwagon. ..then, that new fact is stubbornly held onto, even to the point of ridiculousness..... and all new challenges to the 'status quo' are fought with every inch of life.

are we all human and subject to frustration and probably could use better ways to explain/put forth their ideas in constructive ways? absolutely

if someone has read all this, I have to give them a medal

:D hey! i'll have to find a medal for you :wink: I got a little carried away :eek:

nooo, just finishing reading it all is enough! actually I would be worried if someone agreed to everything that I wrote :rollhappy:

I don't disagree with anything you wrote, WELL, maybe the part about us all being human. (Unicorns are not Human). Well, and then there was the part about.....

Well written, thanks for taking the time.

And I did, til the end.

The major ions influential in aquatic
toxicity are the same critical ions for all
plants, including orchids.

It is this statement that made me sceptical. I'm not willing to compare epihytes with mussels, and I'm not going to try Cl with my orchids.
My tap water contains 1.500 - 2.000something ppm, so I know what I am speaking of, I don't drink that stuff nor use it for my orchids nor my freshawater fish und shrimps.

I do not say, that K-(P-) lite does not work, but I don't agree with the conclusions in how it does. (If it does in the long term.)

I don't believe that I said that but I will restate anyways:

Over the past 2 (actually 2 1/2) years I have purchased more than 160 plants and most are still alive and seemingly very healthy. The ones that are no longer alive were either destroyed because they were infected with CymMV or ORSV (about 10 plants) or they were from a batch of plants that came in bareroot (essentially no root) from Brazil last summer and approximately 25% of those never recovered. Of the few orchids that I acquired more than 2 1/2 years ago they are still all healthy except for a couple that one of my cats destroyed.

I doubt that "K-lite" would have saved the Brazilian imports. Being transported no-root from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere is a bit stressful to the plants.

I only have about half a dozen paphiopedilums. I have most every cattleya species and many laelia species then some catasetinae and an assortment of various other genera, mostly all species.

No David you did not say that....I was just trying to get your attention about a point. It worked and you revealed what you are basing your comments on. The concept of Potassium toxicity reveals itself after long term growth. It is not seen as one symptom. In fact it does not really have a symptom. It manifests as many different problems or none at all.

Perhaps there may be an issue with the term "toxic". Potassium is not toxic but in excess amounts it looks like it creates a "toxic" condition within the plant. By reducing the application ratio of Potassium, users of K-lite are discovering that the toxic condition is reversed.
In Rick's research he has formed a theory and given reasons to prove it as being possible. Users testing the theory are all reporting positive results. Based on those results it is correct to believe the theory is correct.

Over the years that I have been involved in horticulture I don't remember hearing anyone suggest that excess Potassium might be a serious problem. When Rick first presented his theory the lights came on and what he said made perfect sense and well worth trying. This theory can not be discredited by library research or quoting conventional horticultural practices.

No disrespect but 2.5 years experience with growing orchids is not enough to have experienced the potassium toxicity problem or at least not enough experience to recognize the problem.

You said most of your plants are "seemingly very healthy". Plants suffering from Potassium excess may very well seem healthy but in reality could be growing much better.

As a new orchid grower you should welcome a concept that will make your plants grow better and not try to discredit it by going to the library.

Have you tried K-lite?

Back