Shisen Furan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myxodex

Reaction score
Got this from Glen at NWO a few years ago. On their website they suggest this may be N. xichangensis and not a variety of N. falcata, ... the plants originated in China. This one flowers in late March/early April , nearly two months before my other neos, moreover, unlike my other neos it does not start new root growth until a month after flowering. The fragrance is a bit different as well, reminds me of Gardenias.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I didn't notice until a few weeks ago that it produced pods and I wasn't playing with toothpicks ?

Interesting. Really short nectary on that one and a super fat ovary...never seen anything like it. Even N. richardsiana has a longer nectary that that. Unique to be sure. Make sure you get those babies flasked in case you've got a real species there.

The little I've heard of N. xichangensis is that it appears to be a larger form of N. richardsiana. I just got a hold of some of the later last fall and a few are starting to look good right now. Don't think I'll see any blooms this year though.

Beautiful.. Send you a PM.

I cant wait to see my Neo. richardsiana bloom now after seeing this.

Brett

I'd kill you for that plant! :evil:

No, not really. I wouldn't even bop you over the head or try to steal a piece of it. All I would do is what I am doing right now: drooling all over myself and flogging myself mentally for not buying one of these plants when I had the chance to do so. :eek: Lucky you! You've got yourself a real keeper there, and it's NICE! :clap:

...I wouldn't even bop you over the head or try to steal a piece of it. All I would do is what I am doing right now: drooling all over myself and flogging myself mentally for not buying one of these plants when I had the chance to do so....

we have some silly people on this forum...and that makes me happy!
but then again, you know what they say about me....
:crazy:

If you want these capsules sown: drop me a line. I'll be more than happy to do it for you!

Regards,
The Bottle Maker;0))

5813937101_87a5663e4f_b.jpg

Pretty pink!

Are you sure it's a selfing since you didn't play with toothpicks? Did you have any other vandaceous types in bloom at the time?

If it is a selfing, you probably have the potential for some valuable offspring.

I would be interested in buying some seedlings of this. I have richarsiana plants and would swap some seed/divisions when I set some pods next season (Novemeber in Australia)

Brett

I'm a little surprised at the interest in this plant, ... I was going to cut the pods off when I repot (overdue !). However, given the interest here I will leave the pods. I could use some advice though. Do I leave the pods until fully ripe, ... or harvest them at the green pod stage. If the latter, when are these pods going to be useable at the green pod stage ? I've had one offer already for flasking, and I'd be more than happy to distribute seeds to those who want to have a go, as I doubt that I will have a go myself owing to my unstable circumstances at the this time.

As for the fertilisation, and in answer to Dot's pertinent question, this has to be a selfing as the only other plants in bloom at the time were paphs. There were some large ants running around my neo patch at the time that did show an interest in the flowers, but it is also possible that I brushed the flowers against my arm when moving the plants. The mechanism of fertilisation remains a mystery, ... just hope now that it is not a phantom pregancy !

Send out the seeds that's the only thing I can say. I realy like this type of orchid and one day I'll give them a try.

I'm a little surprised at the interest in this plant, ... I was going to cut the pods off when I repot (overdue !). However, given the interest here I will leave the pods. I could use some advice though. Do I leave the pods until fully ripe, ... or harvest them at the green pod stage. If the latter, when are these pods going to be useable at the green pod stage ? I've had one offer already for flasking, and I'd be more than happy to distribute seeds to those who want to have a go, as I doubt that I will have a go myself owing to my unstable circumstances at the this time.
It depends on who is doing the flasking. Troy Meyers prefers dry seed, but other flaskers prefer green pods. Find who will do your flasking and ask them.

As for the fertilisation, and in answer to Dot's pertinent question, this has to be a selfing as the only other plants in bloom at the time were paphs. There were some large ants running around my neo patch at the time that did show an interest in the flowers, but it is also possible that I brushed the flowers against my arm when moving the plants. The mechanism of fertilisation remains a mystery, ... just hope now that it is not a phantom pregancy !
For sure!!!

Btw may I add that I would like to hear it if seed of this plant end up somewere in Europe?

Update:
I've found a flasking service in the UK that will attempt to propagate the pods on my plant. Apparently Neofinetia selfings can be infertile but they are nonetheless willing to try, and if successful they will sell the seedlings.

I've also been in contact with a fuukiran expert in the Netherlands about identification. He suggests that this plant is probably N. richardsiana and that xichangensis might not even be a valid species and just part of the variation in N. richardsiana. I suspect that the plant I have is at least a floriferous clone (two spikes each year) and still worth propagating. If the seed is infertile then I will seek a pollen exchange and try again next year.

Thanks for the interest,
Cheers,
Tim

Update:
I've found a flasking service in the UK that will attempt to propagate the pods on my plant. Apparently Neofinetia selfings can be infertile but they are nonetheless willing to try, and if successful they will sell the seedlings.

I've also been in contact with a fuukiran expert in the Netherlands about identification. He suggests that this plant is probably N. richardsiana and that xichangensis might not even be a valid species and just part of the variation in N. richardsiana. I suspect that the plant I have is at least a floriferous clone (two spikes each year) and still worth propagating. If the seed is infertile then I will seek a pollen exchange and try again next year.

Thanks for the interest,
Cheers,
Tim

Let me guess, Rogier van Vugt?

Back