• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Selling Collection incl. breeders

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutz4Paphs

CCE/AOS :-)
Reaction score
Fellow Slippertalkers:
After being laid off of work at my relatively new job (no need to expound on the economy!) this past week, I have had to make a very important decision...I will be selling most of my Paph collection. :mad: I will keep only a few plants, ones of great sentimental value that will do well in a window situation.
I will be listing these plants on eBay within a week most likely...at the most, 2 weeks. Some are plants of considerable value and would be well worth a look for those interested in breeding possibilities and very rare cultivars.
A small cursory list so that you can start thinking:

Paph. delenatii semi alba...med seedling
Paph. stonei concolor 'Howard'...2 old growths, 3 NBS growths
Paph. vietnamense alba ... small seedling
Paph. henryanum alba ... large seedling
Paph. parishii 'SW College' AM/AOS - 2 growth one recently bloomed/one BS
Paph. Orchilla 'Chilton' FCC 1 BS growth
Paph. Color My World 'Shocker' 1 old, one new growth
Paph. Lady Clunas 'Whatcroft Hall' FCC 2 BS growths
Paph. (Sierra Bell x bellatulum) 'Rojo' 1 old, 3 new
Paph. Woodrose 'Echo' AM/AOS
Paph. (Mystic Isle x emersonii) 'Jeanie' HCC Awarded '08 - 2 old, 3 new

Several more will be listed, but that is some of the best that I have. I'll post a message right after I post them online.
Since I will be keeping a few plants, I would love to stay a part of this wonderful online community!!! :)

This is so sad and annoying!!!:(:(:( I hate such situations...!!!
I hope you find a better job soon!!!! And therefore expand your paph collection again...:):)

Very unfortunate! We wish you the best! Hang in there! Will watch for the listings.

-Ernie

Very sad to hear. What do you mean by stonei concolor? is that a variety of stonei, or is it stonei x concolor?

Also if we are interested would you be willing to sell them before you put them up on ebay? I think there are a few plants that would be useful for our breeding.

Robert

My thoughts exactly as Robert's!
Why pay ebay fees?

Because he might make more $ on ebay. I would think most folks here have ebay accounts and can bid. Sorry to hear about this. Times are tough!

Be sure to come back to this thread and put a link to your auctions.

<Hugs>

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What a hard decision that must have been. I'll watch for the plants as well. Good luck to you. :)

Because he might make more $ on ebay. I would think most folks here have ebay accounts and can bid. Sorry to hear about this. Times are tough!
Be sure to come back to this thread and put a link to your auctions.<Hugs>

It could go either way. It wouldn't cost him to offer here & if he ends up selling to a forum member, I would think his chances are better to get a piece back.

I wondered about that, also. Why not put the price you want on each one here and see if they will sell to members. If you don't get that price, then go to ebay.

I, too, am sorry to hear about your situation, and hope things improve soon.

This is very bad news indeed! .....And, even though it's none of my business, I've gotta say it seems a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. I know a job loss is no small matter; however, it takes a long time to acquire a quality Paph. collection.....and people expect to be able to enjoy their collection for many, many years. During all this time, stuff happens.....life happens and some of it is not pleasant. Please, just be sure that you truly have to / want to do this. It'd be a terrible tragedy if by next month, this purging of your collection turns out to not have been necessary.

I've seen this happen a few times........something distressing happens and in response / as a consequence, the collection suddenly goes up for sale. Then, things settle, perspectives change and in no time, the emotional part of the crisis is past and a plan is implemented to deal with the nuts and bolts of the problem; but by then, it's too late for all the plants that are already gone, leaving the person full of regret and angst.

Pulling up the drawbridge, batting down the hatches and clearing out a cherished Paph collection, isn't going to solve anything in the long term. Getting a new job will do that.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you do.

Hang on to them if you are able. However I know the state of your economy versus ours is even worse and finding a new job may be next to impossible. I know exactly how you feel as I was almost in the same situation when our company almost went under. I hope it all works out for you. Even if you do have to sell they can be replaced eventually.

Sorry to hear about your situation, Nutz4Paphs. Try not to get discouraged. There are actually jobs out there and I personally know a few people who were unemployed but recently found jobs. I was laid off from my job in 2007 due to I.T. outsourcing to India, but I managed to find a job after a lot of searching and interviewing. Times are tough. But please hang in there. Good luck to you.

Edited to add: Offering them on eBay might indeed bring in a lot more money. I was watching an auction a few days ago wherein a Guerrero-type Laelia anceps closed at over $1000 USD. It was indeed a very nice plant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your comments! I appreciate the concern. As I said, I am keeping the plants that I can, including divisions of a couple on the list I posted. Rest assured, this isn't a knee jerk reaction as I will almost certainly be required to move which would necessitate liquidation to some degree anyway.
I'll keep ya posted...it is a good idea to offer to slippertalkers first though. I will keep that in mind.
Thanks again for all of your support!

SELLING cOLLECTION

dO YOU STILL HAVE THIS AVAILABLE :paph. parishii 'SW College' AM/AOS

Good question fcabarle! Did I miss his offerings on ebay? That would be great if his situation changed & he didn't have to sell off plants!

Back