Selenipedium aequinoctiale, second attempt

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any way to get some leaf nutrient concentrations measured?

That could tell you if overloaded on macros and imbalance of K, Ca, Mg.

If you do a flush test on the pot what is the conductivity?

No, I have no possibility to measure the leaf nutrient concentration. But I can reduce the fertilizer what I did already in the new mix.
I didn't measure conductivity. But it should be in a normal range because I always water with my home made 20 µS/cm-water and also flush the pot from time to time.

But You are very right. A substrate with overloaded salt can kill the plant very quickly.

I haven't worked with the Akadama, Kanuma or Seramis, but I was shocked as to how much cation got absorbed into some basic Hydroton (Leca) that I was/am using on a Phrag.

When I finally checked some rinse water, conductivity was 5X higher than my max fert doses at the time.:sob:

Yes, Rick, but most of the salt components are not plant active. So the high conductivity doesn't stalk the plants I think.:)

Yes, Rick, but most of the salt components are not plant active. So the high conductivity doesn't stalk the plants I think.:)

Berthold

At the time all the water input was MSU feed in RO water. So the most common cation was K building up.

If you use more surface water and hit with epsom salts you can change that around to less plant active Ca/Mg.:wink:

Back