Scales!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Insect Repellent

I going to go out on a limb here, but hey... I'm a noob :p and if I don't take risks, I don't learn.

I've been using a common household insect repellent, Aerogard, (I'm not a fan of ....icides) to excellent effect on aphids, scale, ants, caterpillars, grubs, beetles and of course, mozzies, flies and ticks. The latter three don't bother the plants, but boy-oh-boy, they annoy the hell outta me when outdoors tending to my orchids!

The active ingredients are DEET and N-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide.

To date, there's been no ill affects on my plants or my naturally jaundiced complexion.

Has anyone else tried this or similar products? If so, would you advise I continue use or cease & desist?

I going to go out on a limb here, but hey... I'm a noob :p and if I don't take risks, I don't learn.

I've been using a common household insect repellent, Aerogard, (I'm not a fan of ....icides) to excellent effect on aphids, scale, ants, caterpillars, grubs, beetles and of course, mozzies, flies and ticks. The latter three don't bother the plants, but boy-oh-boy, they annoy the hell outta me when outdoors tending to my orchids!

To date, there's been no ill affects on my plants or my naturally jaundiced complexion.

Has anyone else tried this or similar products? If so, would you advise I continue use or cease & desist?

Are you applying it to yourself or plants? ;)

Malathion is extremely toxic and that is the reason to use it (and a reason not to),

I am a firm believer in the more toxic the better theory myself.I wouldn't mind getting some DDT.Thats if anyone still had some around that was still good.

I am a firm believer in the more toxic the better theory myself.I wouldn't mind getting some DDT.Thats if anyone still had some around that was still good.

DDT never goes bad, it will last for centuries, that was the problem with it.
There's a lot of DDT at the bottom of Santa Monica Bay, perhaps a hundred tons or so, courtesy of Montrose Chemicals who stopped producing it in 1982.

I would like to get my hands on some Dursban or Methiocarb to off some orchid snails. I have toyed with the idea of getting a pesticide applicators license so that I could buy the good stuff.

DDT never goes bad, it will last for centuries, that was the problem with it.

I always thought the opposite,but I wasn't even born when it was being used by the local farmers.I never thought about getting certified to be able to get my hands on the good stuff,but its a good idea.

Yes sir, there is a good bit of responsibility that goes along with getting an
applicator certification including taking tests about every two years or so
in KY and inspections periodically. That said, I've been certified for almost
sixteen years and find that when I need a chemical in my greenhouse, I can
get it wholesale. While I'm lecturing, let me say that the chemicals I find
most effective in my greenhouse is Orthene 97% WP and Cleary's 3336.
I do use Physan to sanitize my potting counter and clean algae off the
floor. THE most effective item I've used for years is a type of cover for the louvers in my gh and yelling if anyone leaves the doors open. Charley's Greenhouse Supply has the material to cover openings that allow critters inside and it is very inexpensive and non-toxic. It only cuts
down air flow by 1%.

I use chlordane on the farm for termites. Problem is it can leak into the water table if you don't apply it correctly or carefully and it is responsible for a wide range of horrid results. I certainly would not use it in town in my greenhouse.

I just found some scales on a brachy a bought 2 months ago from our show. I am gonna spray it with Safer's End all 2 and maybe treat it with Merit 75. Do I treat all the plants that were beside it as well? :mad::mad::mad:

I HATE scale!!! :mad: I haven't tried Merit 75 but I had good success with Safer's End All 2. I found that I needed to do repeat applications but with vigilance I was able to get rid of those nasty critters.
In between applications, a little trick that worked well for me was to shine a flashlight on the plants at night, the white cottony stuff practically glows white so you can catch the little colonies earlier, and then dab them with rubbing alcohol.
I hope they didn't make their way onto any of your other plants!

These are effective on flying pests and things that attack animals. Not really good on scale, or mealies.

Thanks, NYEric. I'll keep a close eye and see what effect it has. I'm a firm believer in evidence based practices.

If you are applying Deet directly to plants keep in mind that it also has oil and solvents in the bottled repellent. The deet repellent I use for my body will slowly dissolve rubber and paint. Not good for cameras. The solvents may damage some tender plant tissue so experiment before massive use.

Latest posts

Back