sanderianum, the other way!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Boy

I thought:
It would make sense not to always show great flowers, (or decent ones, since I don't have too many great plants....), but to also share a loss I was struck with this week.
See for yourself...
It took the winter to get these plants rooted, and they start growing like nuts right now,....
5781075743_8be2896d64_z.jpg

But not this one:
5781075979_9fd4c55883_b.jpg

5781076327_f751260e81_b.jpg

The worst part: It's all my fault. I had the room too hot, went away on business.... came back home after a week....and there you have it. The moral: Work is bad for you. It's bad for your plants, and it really spoils the day. The only question is: why a sanderianum??? All others are fine......:mad:

We all have to learn from our mistakes. I can't imagine how many orchids I killed through the years, and I still do once in a while. Most times it's my fault but there are orchids who come with a death wish.

has the rot gotten down into the crown yet? if not u should cut off that leaf down to the healthy tissue asap. i am having good luck with phyton 27.

Yeah, if it's not total mush, and you don't mind waiting during a slow recovery, you can trim away the bad parts, dump hydrogen peroxide down in the crown, and cross you fingers.

Been there too!!! It is the way it goes sometimes. Erinie and Justin are right about trying to save it though but the way I look at it is that it's not worth it. The number of years and the frustration you will feel every time you see the plant is reason enough to discard it (at least I would).

I recently lost (or am loosing) a NBS platyphyllum as we speak.

yeah sometimes it isn't worth the time and effort to nurse a plant back to health...gives u more time and energy to work on correcting the cultural issue.

shittytheshitf.....cssake!....
I agree with dodidoki, since the whole plant looks like jam. I'll prepare theatre for later tonight, get the knifes out, order a (nice) nurse.... and we'll cut into what's left to cut into.

Pictures like these always make me sad. I performed some small scale surgery on a plant yesterday and treated the wounds with cinamon. I hope that everything turns out well.

I hope you can save your plant as well.

Do you have other sanderianums in the same area? Is this the only one that does this? I have the same Paph sanderianum cross as you do but it is growing in hot condition with a lot of air movement. Nothing happen except my runt Paph delenatii vinicolor compot developed the same condition as your sanderianum. I threw them out and they were tiny to begin with!

I am at a lost to why some plants get this problem as well.

Paphman910

shittytheshitf.....cssake!....
I agree with dodidoki, since the whole plant looks like jam. I'll prepare theatre for later tonight, get the knifes out, order a (nice) nurse.... and we'll cut into what's left to cut into.

I've pulled a couple out like this. But the odds are low at this stage.

Cut off all the yuck, Dragons Blood and cinnamon.

Keep cool but air humidity 70%

Do you have other sanderianums in the same area? Is this the only one that does this? I have the same Paph sanderianum cross as you do but it is growing in hot condition with a lot of air movement. Nothing happen except my runt Paph delenatii vinicolor compot developed the same condition as your sanderianum. I threw them out and they were tiny to begin with!

I am at a lost to why some plants get this problem as well.

Paphman910

I'm thinking more and more about K overdose and/or Mg deficiency. But once the rot kicks in diet correction will not fix.

i totally missed that it is all throughout the old leaves too. don't even bother with surgery just throw it away, don't risk the infection spreading to the other plants.

I'm thinking more and more about K overdose and/or Mg deficiency. But once the rot kicks in diet correction will not fix.

I fertilize with 20-20-20 and Magnesium Sulfate but I think it may be improper pH level from the rotting bark and sphagnum moss compost that was really wet. That is also the reason I added perlite and charcoal to the mix to increase aeration.

Paphman910

Back