Sanderianum and stonei deflasklings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seedlings after 2.5 months from deflasking. They are still alive!
I just moved them from clay pots with sphagnum to plastic pots with bark mix. They don't seem to grow as much, but when repotting I noticed lots of new roots.

Paph. sanderianum . Didn't loose any yet. :) :

sanderianum.jpg

Paph. stonei. Lost half of the seedlings to rot through the bent stem. Here are the remains, their stems weren't bent:

stonei.jpg

I am an easily encouraged person and am getting more flasks from OrchidInn in April. This time some hybrids :).

Good progress. Sam has good flasks in my opinion. The best is to catch him at a good show. Next time I find out OI is going to be at a show I'm going to I will pre-order and bring extra cash. :wink:

Very nice to see the progress. I potted out my first flask a few days behind you, they look similar in size and substance. All are pushing new leaves. But mine are hybrids, had to go easy on the first flask. You took the plunge, and it looks like they are happy in your care. Good growing.

Nice sanderianum seedlings! They generally grow really well from Sam's flask but about 33% of them will be really vigorous and fast growers!

Can't believe the mortality of the stonei! Sucks!

If you need any tips, let me know.

Thank you everybody!
I don't think stonei mortality was my fault. Every seedling that I threw away looked like this:

stonei_seedling.jpg

And I think this bend happened because of packing peanuts inside the flask on the top of seedlings during shipping. Sanderianums were shorter and thicker, they didn't suffer from this, but stonei seedlings were thin and long, and they did bend a lot.

Now, I pre-ordered three more flasks and they will have to be shipped from Toronto too. Here is what Sam said in an email:
I will fill the flask inside with foam peanut so that the plants wouldn't jumbled and cause damage. However, you must deflask within a week after you receive the flasks.

Should I ask him to not put peanuts inside? But will I get jumble then?

Thanks.

You're doing so well with them. You're a very brave person...I'd be terrified! Please keep us posted from time to time.

Angela, nothing terrifying about it. Worst thing could happen - they all die and I will buy another flask :).

Of course smarter thing would be to try some easy hybrid first. But I tend to do everything backwards. My next flasks are all hybrids.

Nice sanderianum seedlings! They generally grow really well from Sam's flask but about 33% of them will be really vigorous and fast growers!

Can't believe the mortality of the stonei! Sucks!

If you need any tips, let me know.

Thank you Paphman910. If you could share your fertilizing routine for the small seedlings, I would really appreciate that.

Just guessing but i suspect the problem is the plantlets may have grown in the flask for too long and they became etoliated. once they "neck" like that they are prone to the mechanical problems you experienced.

Thank you everybody!
I don't think stonei mortality was my fault. Every seedling that I threw away looked like this:

stonei_seedling.jpg

And I think this bend happened because of packing peanuts inside the flask on the top of seedlings during shipping. Sanderianums were shorter and thicker, they didn't suffer from this, but stonei seedlings were thin and long, and they did bend a lot.

Now, I pre-ordered three more flasks and they will have to be shipped from Toronto too. Here is what Sam said in an email:
I will fill the flask inside with foam peanut so that the plants wouldn't jumbled and cause damage. However, you must deflask within a week after you receive the flasks.

Should I ask him to not put peanuts inside? But will I get jumble then?

Thanks.
good luck ..this is exactly why i dont buy flasks from Sam anymore (even his phrag longifoilum album he sent me were crap )

Just guessing but i suspect the problem is the plantlets may have grown in the flask for too long and they became etoliated. once they "neck" like that they are prone to the mechanical problems you experienced.

it really doesnt matter ..i have had charlesworthii album and barbigerum album (not etiolated ) sent from Sam and most were broken

Sam's flask rarely jumbles because the agar is rubbery! Ordered many times from him and sent to me by mail with no issues from Toronto to Victoria.

1/4 strength 20-20-20 year round!

Has anyone given Sam feedback? Flask buyers should let Sam know his peanuts are doing more harm then good. He probably should de-flask and ship in damp paper towels rather then the peanut thing.

Has anyone given Sam feedback? Flask buyers should let Sam know his peanuts are doing more harm then good. He probably should de-flask and ship in damp paper towels rather then the peanut thing.

Well, it was my first time ordering paphiopedilum flasks, I thought there had to be peanuts and it was just my bad luck.
I just emailed Sam asking to not put them in and send flasks as is. Hope they will be ok.

Sam's flask rarely jumbles because the agar is rubbery! Ordered many times from him and sent to me by mail with no issues from Toronto to Victoria.

1/4 strength 20-20-20 year round!

Thank you Paphman910. So, you don't use K-Lite on them?

Latest posts

Back