Sanderianum and stonei deflasklings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

orchideya

Flasks from Orchid Inn:

flasks.jpg

Paph. sanderianum x sib ('Mini' AQ/AOS x 'Dr. John' AM/AQ/AOS):

paph_sanderianum_flask.jpg

paph_sanderianum_seedlings.jpg

Paph. stonei x sib ('Red Pouch' x 'The Best') :

stonei_flask.jpg

stonei_seedlings.jpg

Do they look ok?

Thank you Eric and Jean!

I put them straight into tank with all other orchids, they are shaded by larger phalaenopsis plants:

seedlings_in_tank.jpg

Thank keeps 25C temps and 80% RH. They should be ok, right?

Thank you Justin and Trithor.
Most of my plants are in moss, it is my preferred medium since it is easiest for me to tell when it is dry.
I usually kill everything in bark.
I moved some mature phals in large pots to bark to try and they seem to be ok, but they had very good root systems when I moved them, so maybe eventually I will kill them too.
My adult paphs are in bark mix, but I do rot a lot of roots in it, when I repot I see their root system getting smaller and smaller. I keep them in bark because that's how I bought them and not sure if I can move them to moss safely.
I am hoping that these new seedlings will get used to moss and will continue to grow in moss when mature.
I do change moss often, so it doesn't have chance to pack up too much.

I ammend bark mix with moss for plants out of flask but generally don't use it straight for Paphs. suggest adding perlite for next time you repot the sands and stones

Thanks!
Will do. I was also thinking about adding some limestone pieces. Should I?

Unfortunately few stonei seedlings did not make it already. They were very thin and narrow from the beginning and got bent through the stem during deflasking (I never noticed before how clumsy and fat my fingers are ).
The bent places got brown, looking like rot will be starting there, so I threw them away.
Sanderianums didn't have this problem, they were more sturdy at the stem.
oh, well.

Sorry to hear that but unfortunately it happens.
It's too bad that they're still using that type of container, it's one way to avoid that from happening but still doesn't guarantee a loss down the road! If you want to try husky flaskings with roots, try a brachy cross, I've bought from 2 different sources & it amazes me the roots they have!

thank you for the suggestion GoldenRose.
I usually avoided brachy types because I read somewhere that they are very demanding and not easy to grow. I only had one bellatulum before mites.
It is nice to know that they are good from flasks.
I was going to buy something from parvi next spring, maybe delenatii or some cross. Are they hard to deflask?

Three weeks after deflasking

Three weeks after deflasking.
I have noticed that moss in these pots doesn't dry out as fast as it did with my phalaenopsis deflasklings in the same conditions.
So I freaked out and rearranged compots to make them a bit more crowded and put large bark chunks under moss for about half the pot.
While pulling seedlings out I noticed tiny new roots started to grow, it is a good sign.

Sanderianums look happier, no losses so far. There are now only 4 compots after rearrangement:

paph_sanderianum_seedlings2.jpg

Stonei is not as happy on the top but grew more new roots than sandie. I threw away two more seedlings with damaged foliage. Here is what left:

Paph_stonei_seedlings2.jpg

Latest posts

Back