• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SAm's new list

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehanes7612

Reaction score
Sam has a new flask list...has some good stuff..hit him up or I can send you list in email (pm me)...guess some things wont be ready for a few weeks though

I reserved an eberneum flask (going to attempt growing these from flask) and an adductum flask (my first flask was in 1993, an adductum cross from Antec..they all died, going to revisit)..he also has anitum...but I cant grow those in my setup

I had terrible luck my first go-round with adductum- lost most of them very quickly. They just dried out.

FWIW- the adductum v. anitum flasks I got from Sam in June are doing quite well, so I am hoping another generation or two into cultivation has made its usual mark.

From your posts, you really seem to know your stuff- but in case it is of help with your adductum flask, I am having luck with adductum v. anitum by keeping them much wetter than the other flasks I am growing out. That and letting them acclimate in open flask before deflasking helped.

Leaving agar intact on one flask was a mistake though, and they are all without agar now. That held up water intake I think. Since removing the agar those are doing as well as those where I removed agar when potting.

I had terrible luck my first go-round with adductum- lost most of them very quickly. They just dried out.

FWIW- the adductum v. anitum flasks I got from Sam in June are doing quite well, so I am hoping another generation or two into cultivation has made its usual mark.

From your posts, you really seem to know your stuff- but in case it is of help with your adductum flask, I am having luck with adductum v. anitum by keeping them much wetter than the other flasks I am growing out. That and letting them acclimate in open flask before deflasking helped.

Leaving agar intact on one flask was a mistake though, and they are all without agar now. That held up water intake I think. Since removing the agar those are doing as well as those where I removed agar when potting.

I used to leave agar intact and lost lots of flasks...I dont do that anymore. I tend to keep everything in a very loose mix and water very often...It seems to work with everything I grow. I may try anitum...I have only tried a couple young seedlings and they didnt do well, but it may have been something with those seedlings

I got a flask of adductum and eberneum (awarded cross)...I made the mistake of allowing the adductum to dry out overnite (not on purpose) before I had put them in the mix andI think I killed half of them, they really dont like drying out at all apparently. ...this was supposed to be my redemption for the first flask I ever had in 1993 of adductum I got from Antec. I killed off all those too. The eberneum are doing great though..not a single one has died.

I got a flask of adductum and eberneum (awarded cross)...I made the mistake of allowing the adductum to dry out overnite (not on purpose) before I had put them in the mix andI think I killed half of them, they really dont like drying out at all apparently. ...this was supposed to be my redemption for the first flask I ever had in 1993 of adductum I got from Antec. I killed off all those too. The eberneum are doing great though..not a single one has died.

Similar experience here. I was too busy to pot them up right away, so I let them sit open in their agar for a few days along with the other flasks so I could do them all at once.

Two days into the wait I went ahead and potted them- putting all of them into the "hospital compots" I used in the Coryo Chronicles- so basically in my standard seedling mix, inside closed clear plastic containers with a flap cut out of the lid to allow slight air movement.

Most bounced back within a few days, though it is touch and go for a few with portions of a main leaf already partially dried and rotting, and I am hopeful I will get a yield of 15-18 plants in the long run.

Ed- taking into account your experiences, my past and present adductum experiences and my recent adductum v. anitum experiences with the agar vs. non-agar method, I think the clear message is that these plants like to be wet and the sooner out of flask into a wet, humid environment the better.

Happily everything else is adjusting nicely. For anyone who is contemplating a purchase, note that the praestans and bellatulum flasks are especially nice. I did not get any bad flasks, but those were particularly floriferous across the board.

Yeah, mine were sent with agar off and cleaned .. Sam said they were jumbled too much for comfort when he received them.. I just should have kept them wet . Oh well, might order another flask of them

Same here on them being jumbled- but I took them in flask. Did not look too bad when arrived. If I had potted them up right then, as he urged, I think I would be better off than I am now. I did not pay heed to how quickly they would dry out without water being directly available.

Back