rothschildianum "London"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paworsport

Hi all,

I find an old picture of the last flowering of my biggest roth. I have the chance to buy it in flower 4 years ago in London orchids show for a very good price (110 €) with 2 growths and one start from a German nursery Kopf. The seller had 5 or 6 plants and he sold it in 20 mn... at the beginning of the show.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6518/1424213img.jpg

The plant flowered again next year with one flower :( but today the plant has 4 growths one is flowering size and the second has started to grow at the base of the oldest growth (never see that before); The pot is full of vigourous roots from last year and I hope to see a stem next year.
The pic is for the second blossom with a 25 cm flower. I think the plant had to adapt to his new place at home and made only one flower...

No parents known but the flower is nice for the shape, flat dorsal and long pouch with red orange color.

Very nice!

Why do so many people photograph this flower from a low angle, covering up the staminode??? Just curious.

Very nice!

Why do so many people photograph this flower from a low angle, covering up the staminode??? Just curious.

I ask the same thing Dot! My plants opened flowers up at a sharp angle at first but finally flattened out nicely. Tried to not photograph until fully opened.

Nice roth.

Very nice!

I checked my one and only photograph of a roth and it was much the same as this photo. I could see the top of the staminode in mine. The reason for this was that the dorsal was reflexed a bit so the photo was taken at the best angle to show off the dorsal. That is generally the way I like to photograph Paphs. The staminode is of secondary importance for me. It is all about the dorsal. Maybe that explains why roths are photographed like this.

David

Lovely large flower!

Dot, I agree with you. I feel compelled to shoot a flower as it presents itself to the world. In this case if you want to see the staminode a side shot could be used. Having said all that, I too have been guilty of shooting from below to get a better look at the dorsal.

Nice roth, first of all.

The Kopf nursery is famous here for their huge selection of extremely well grown miniature species. They usually have some show stopping specimen plants in their display when they come to shows, and Peter Kopf is a Paph person. He's got good stuff.

Good point about the angle. I think the best way to photograph things like stonei or kolopakingii is to take several pics from different angles, to get the best of the dorsal in one and the whole staminode in another.

Back