rot/erwinia problems with Phrags.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abax

In Remembrance 2023
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The weather is terrible this summer. Very little sun and lots of rain and overcast days. I've been using Phyton 27
every ten days or so to prevent rot for the last month. Is
this effective control? I only have two Phrags. showing a
bit of dark splotching on old growth that doesn't seem to
be spreading. I have lots of air movement so that's not
the problem. Any suggestions other than Phyton?

Oh, might the weather cause a St. Eligius bud to blast?
The first bud doesn't look good, but there are some buds
developing that seem fine...so far. Is it possible that drenching with Phyton might encourage a bud to blast?

Angela, give the Inocucor Garden Solution a try. I had an pricey phal with erwinia, so I sprayed it daily for a week, and the rot stopped and the plant has resumed normal growth.

I am using it regularly in the greenhouse this summer (1% solution every 3-4 weeks) and have seen no rots whatsoever.

Angela, give the Inocucor Garden Solution a try. I had an pricey phal with erwinia, so I sprayed it daily for a week, and the rot stopped and the plant has resumed normal growth.

I am using it regularly in the greenhouse this summer (1% solution every 3-4 weeks) and have seen no rots whatsoever.

Ray, Are you using it as a foliar mist or watering with it also? How do I use it in conjunction with KelpMax? Thanks.

Oh, might the weather cause a St. Eligius bud to blast?
The first bud doesn't look good, but there are some buds
developing that seem fine...so far. Is it possible that drenching with Phyton might encourage a bud to blast?

I agree that Phyton can cause the bud to blast as well as a number of other things. Our weather here in LA hasn't been much different from yours except for a little hotter. I don't think weather is the issue. I am excited for you getting it to bloom though!

If your plants are outside I certainly feel for you. I'm an indoor grower (under lights) who has typically summered my plants outside. I gave up on this last summer due to erwinia -its just not worth the months it takes me to get them to recover! Good luck and i'll be watching your progress :)

I grow in a greenhouse. It would be impossible to grow
outside back here in the woods with all the critters like
squirrels, raccoons, possums, chipmunks, etc. that might
see it as a cafeteria offering.

Eron, it ain't bloomed yet. It's been in bud for about a
month as the stem elongates. If it's not the overcast
weather or Phyton, I can't imagine why the bud's looking
rather "blastish". 'Ice Princess' is the Phrag. with a very
small spot that might be rot and China Dragon had rot,
but is doing well now...so far. Perhaps I'm over-doing
the Phyton do you think? There appears to be three small buds developing further down on the St. Eligius
spike. Send good Louisiana vibes! All my other Phrags.
are growing so well, but being quite stubborn about spiking. Damned weather!!!

Thank you for the suggestion Ray. I generally don't spray anything
if I can drench the medium, but I might just give it a try. My Phals.
are thriving as are my Paphs. It's the Phrags. that worry me to death as I'm still a newbie with them.

Strange. With good air movement, reasonable tº's and nothing organic near that could contain Erwinia, there shouldn't be no problem.
Keep the water extremely fresh, don't let stay in water for a while but water daily. Perhaps some epsom salts...
Luck with your plants! Phrags have been the easiest group for me ... You say you have lots of air movement ... and Erwinia. Could it be that during cold and dark spells you should move the plants to somewhere with less air movement? Could it be that strong air movement makes it too cold for them to fell happy? Just my thoughts...

Ray, Are you using it as a foliar mist or watering with it also? How do I use it in conjunction with KelpMax? Thanks.

Eron,

For "curative" treatments, I apply a 2% IGS solution from a hand-spray bottle, completely wetting the plant and soaking the medium. For general proactive treatment, I use a 1% solution applied via a hose-end sprayer, and again, the plants and pots get drenched.

In my greenhouse setup, the RO water has fertilizer injected in the hose stream, so that is applied all the time, when adding the IGS or KelpMax, i use the hose end sprayer. I usually do one at the start of the month (or so...), and the other around mid-month, so they really are more-or-less independent of each other.

The only time I use them together is in situations involving rootless rescues, new imports being potted up, or transplants.

Strange. With good air movement, reasonable tº's and nothing organic near that could contain Erwinia, there shouldn't be no problem.
Keep the water extremely fresh, don't let stay in water for a while but water daily. Perhaps some epsom salts...
Luck with your plants! Phrags have been the easiest group for me ... You say you have lots of air movement ... and Erwinia. Could it be that during cold and dark spells you should move the plants to somewhere with less air movement? Could it be that strong air movement makes it too cold for them to fell happy? Just my thoughts...

I concur. My phrags definitely do better outside. Even with all the rain we've been having, I think the air movement compensates. I don't see any difference between my phrags in bark vs s/h.
What type of light are your phrags getting outside?

Angela,I truly feel your pain. I've been away on the road for 2 weeks now,drove down south then on the 3rd day I decided to fly back to check on the orchids,flew back down again and weather held up on the cool side long enough to wait 4 days before flying back again. Flew back and this time I drove back home. In 2 weeks,only one showed some sign of erwinia.

Prior to my departure,I soaked every single plant in kleengrow and repotted all in Inocucor soaked chc mixture and so far only 1 plant in 2 weeks is a record for me,just removed the bad section soaked the plant in kleengrow then sealed it with dragon blood. Phyton didn't work me along with umpteen other solutions.

Good luck to you with your battle,I'm sure mine is not over yet but somewhat contained.

I don't think it's cool temps. for sure. Temps. have been in the high 80's-low 90's here. A bit lower in the greenhouse
with all the air movement.

iwillard, I think I've got disease symptoms under control
which is about all anyone can do really. I change the
rainwater in the saucers every day and pour new rainwater through the pots. I still think the one or two
spots that are under control are due to the unceasing rain
and overcast. The poor babies need some SUN!

Hey you traveling in the south, come visit!!! I live about
five miles from I-75, exit 29. We'll take you out to eat
and we can cry on each other's shoulder about Phrag.
problems. Bring an umbrella. That goes for anyone on
ST traveling south on vacation. I love orchid company
and we have an apartment we call the barndominium for
guests.

Thank you for your kind offer,Angela!

If I'm anywhere near KY,I will definitely let you know and hope you'll do the same while I'm in PA. Right now my endless search is for the Coastal SC and Golden Isles,GA area,I figure if my poor orchids really mind the heat,I might as well take them to the heart of it and see how they like them apples..:D

Once I get my old bones,my orchids and my dogs/cats down there,you and ST members are always welcome for a visit. DH says he'll visit during warmer months but will be there when he sees first snow flake gently coming down from the sky.
Just the thought of Redlands will be within a daylight driving distance instead of over couple of days of driving time is enough reason to stop and visit.

I have a friend who just moved from Utah mountains to
an island off the coast of GA and she LOVES it...also her
orchids are thriving. I wish I could remember the name
of the island. Perhaps it will come to me later. Her dog
loves the outside play time all year too. I got the impression that real estate on that particular island isn't
outlandish as some of the coastal areas are. Good luck!

Treatments are expensive. Have you tried the cheap and effective way of curing ailments --- a soak in water containing enough bleach to show a few bubbles when stirred.
Works well for me. I got this method from an orchid grower of many years. I have tried it myself with great success and never lost a plant

Ed

Angela, sorry about this. I used to encounter rot when i watered with R/O water and all-nitrate fertilizer. Now that I use tap water with lots of calcium, coupled with urea-based fertilizer, rot is non-existent. Just my experience.

Treatments are expensive. Have you tried the cheap and effective way of curing ailments --- a soak in water containing enough bleach to show a few bubbles when stirred.
Works well for me. I got this method from an orchid grower of many years. I have tried it myself with great success and never lost a plant

Ed
At which concentration do you use bleach solution? Here in Belgium the household solution has a concentration of 15 degrees chlorometric = 47.55 gr/l chlorine.

Back