Problem Phrag?--Seeking thoughts and opinions

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the first close up you can clearly see raised area in the middle of the leaf. ..... I would put my money on a reaction to irritation by mealybug when the leaf was developing?
Further proof of this in second pic showing symetrical damage when leaf was still folded

Regarding any insects (including thrips, as previously mentioned by Erythrone) I am inclined to dismiss them as the cause for a couple of reasons. This plant, for a few months, grew with three other Phrags, often with the leaves touching. (Yeah, I know it's better to not let plants touch, but space constraints...) None of the others ever developed these symptoms. Shouldn't they have if it was an insect-caused problem? The only other plant I have seen having symptoms like my plant was the plant (same grex, quite possibly out of the same flask) my fellow OS member exhibited at the show. (Which I mention in my first post on the thread.)

The lack of symptoms in my other phrags, combined with the symptoms in another plant of the same grex, possibly same clone, owned by someone else suggested three possibilities:
1. Virus (as suggested by one of the judges).
2. Some genetic weakness in this particular plant.
3. Environmental stress.

Of course, numbers two & three are not mutually exclusive and might work in tandem.

I would be the first to admit my plant cultural techniques are far from stellar. Since everyone seems unanimous in saying it's not a virus, I think it's my bad care that needs to be worked on!

Thank you all for taking time to offer your suggestions. I hope to see some improvement in the plant, as a result of what you have told me.

Phrags are not greedy feeders so require very little fertilizer but keep them very wet by flushing out stagnant water from the compost every day. They will ( or should )get their oxygen needs from the fresh water.

Ed

Why do you ask about thrips? What suggests them to you?

Sorry. I didn't read your comment before.

I was asking about thrips because some of my Phrags had some this year (not all of them. And that was not because the affected ones were growing side by side.)

Unfortunatly I "raise" thrips for many years now (mainly in Dendrobium nobile hybrids. Fortunatly I can remove the foliage when it is too ugly in fall!) but last summer was the first time this pest really took a lunch at some of my Phrags. They fed on newer leaves and I saw some tan colored streak on the new leaves. Although the damage is not exactly the same on your plant, I was thinking this could be the result of another species of thrips.

This does not look like virus to me. It's cultural. Some plants love S/H potting medium and some don't. If this plant were mine, I'd repot it now, regardless of the spike forming and throw out those pellets. It's not happy in that potting mix. Use a mix with at least a little bit of bark, moss or CHC; with lots of gravel and drainage material like shredded styrofoam. Water often and thoroughly. Not watering often enough or heavily enough is a big problem with Phrags. You need to learn to water better if you want to grow great Phrags. And yes, I agree with Rick; make sure that you are not overfeeding with K; but, also make sure that you are providing enough Ca and Mg.

Latest posts

Back