Removing old leaves

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
A quick and possibly trivial question, please. I have a few Paphs where the brown, senescent basal leaf is clinging on and won't easily pull away, so I have left it in situ. I see that some of these leaves are now developing a white mould, as you might expect dead tissue to do. My question is, will this (presumably saprophytic) mould harm the living parts of the plant? And are there any tricks to getting rid of these dead basal leaves, other than pulling *really* hard?

Thank you,

Alex

A quick and possibly trivial question, please. I have a few Paphs where the brown, senescent basal leaf is clinging on and won't easily pull away, so I have left it in situ. I see that some of these leaves are now developing a white mould, as you might expect dead tissue to do. My question is, will this (presumably saprophytic) mould harm the living parts of the plant? And are there any tricks to getting rid of these dead basal leaves, other than pulling *really* hard?

Thank you,

Alex

Cut the leaf close to it's base next to the stem. Leave the stubs to fall off naturally.
Or if the plant is in a good strong condition pulling off the old leaf won't hurt anything if you know how to pull correctly.

Best to remove the old dead leaf if it is growing fungi.

Thanks Lance and Eric. Sometimes I've pulled so hard I'm in danger of damaging the plant (small plants, big ones can handle much more pulling!) but it still won't budge...

Thanks Lance and Eric. Sometimes I've pulled so hard I'm in danger of damaging the plant (small plants, big ones can handle much more pulling!) but it still won't budge...

You have to learn the correct technique by trial and error. :(
If the leaf does not come off easy.... pull sideways with steady pressure until on side comes loose then the other side often comes off easy as well. making a small tear of the far side will help to get it started.

Another method is to grasp the stem opposite to where the leaf is attached between your thumb and finger to hold it firmly. Then with your other hand grab the leaf and give it a sudden sharp snap/pull...it probably will pop loose... but oops sometimes extra things pop loose.

And another method.... split the leaf lengthwise down the middle and then each half will come off the base easier.

you are going to damage your plants if you pull too hard on that. you can "peel" it off sideways like lance mentioned but definitely dont' force anything. remember to wash your hands/use sterile tools when you do anything like this.

i just cut dead leaves close to the trunk and then wait till the leaf is dried up to remove the remained when it won't break the plant. Or the next time i repot i pull off the dead part now that it is all dried up. the white stuff won't harm your plant so i wouldn't worry about that.

Thank you very much, everybody. I will give the splitting idea a try. Even if there are no health consequences, I'd rather not look at the brown leaf stumps if there's a way round...

Cheers,

Alex

I think you may damage the base of the plant by pulling off if not ready. This may lead to future infection. I just leave them until they come off on their own or if you need to show it, cut short

Just cut it short (leave one inch or so). After some time you may remove the remains if necessary.

Thank you everybody - I didn't realise I'd start such a lively discussion. I also wouldn't think that there is any need to sterilise anything if cutting through a dead, shrivelled leaf.

Cheers,

Alex

Back