Redlands Orchid Festival

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, who went?

What'd you guys get???

We decided to stay home and invest gas money directly on plants. :)

I decided to not go. I did go once (2009) and had a wonderful time. I was a little disappointed in the slipper selections they had there. To me, Redland is very "South Florida grower-centric".

Redland International Orchid Festival was, in one word, overwhelming! To see so many orchids in one place at one time from all over the world was -- overwhelming. I am so glad I did research on various websites before going, so I had with me a wish-list to use when visiting the vendors I really wanted to visit. After that, it was just going through each tent and seeing what I could not live without. While remembering that I had brought a medium-sized suitcase to bring them back in, and well as a limited budget. I also took my list of what is in my collection so I wouldn't duplicate.

Well, at least not too much!

It was great. Really. What an experience. Not something I can afford to do often, and maybe not even again -- but something certainly worth doing once. Not only just to see all those myriad orchids, some familiar, many not; but to talk with the vendors, ask questions, and observe...

There were 64 vendors there -- they are still listed on the Redlands website: http://www.redlandorchidfestival.org/ From all over the world: Thailand, Philippines, Brazil, Peru, Venezuela, Malaysia, Columbia, Taiwan, Japan, Ecuador -- and many from the US I'd never heard of. Overwhelming!

I also went to some of the orchid talks. Carlos Fighetti gave an OK overview of Phal species, Ron McHatton's talk on the Orchids of Mexico was interesting and informative, and Mac Rivenbark from Mac's Orchids' talk on Philippine Orchids was also interesting and refreshing. There was also a Virus Testing "Demo" by a guy from AGDIA, Inc. which answered a few questions I had and corrected some erroneous info I had -- that Cymbidium Mosaic Virus and the Odont. ringspot virus are NOT spread by insects, but only by mechanical means. He wasn't the best speaker, but it was a good talk.

It was also interesting to see the plants in the AOS tent, what was awarded and what got ribbons. The group I went with pretty much agreed that the presentation, tags, and placement of the winners left something to be desired.

These followed me home:

Aerangis somalensis
Ascocentrum christensonianum
Asconopsis Thai Cherry
Barkeria spectabilis
Brassia signata (mexicana)
Chrisnopsis Penang Star (Paraphalaenopsis laycockii 'big sister' x Christensonia vietnamica)
Cleisocentron merrillianum
Dendrochilum bicallosum
Dorthera (Renanthera Penang x Doritis pulcherrima ‘Tony Tan’
Encyclia garciana
Grosourdya muscosa
Maxillaria ochroleuca
Oncidumnia Kimberly Kosaki (Pauoa Delight x Tolumnia Alameda Magic)
Phalaenopsis cornu-cervi (yellow form)
Phaleanopsis maculata
Phaleanopsis maculata
Phaleanopsis stuartiana (yellow form)
Phaleanopsis sumatrana (malaysian type)
Phaleanopsis sumatrana
Pleurothallis allenii
Pleurothallis amparoana
Polystachya paniculata x sib
Stellis addrianae
Trichosalpinx ciliaris
Tuberolabium phillipsii
Tuberolabium quisumbingii
Tuberolabium woodii

Barbara LeAnn x kovachii
Elizabeth Castle x kovachii
Fritz Schomburg (kovachii ‘Ana’ x besseae)
Haley Decker x kovachii
kovachii
La Vingtaine (Memoria Dick Clements x kovachii)
pearcei
Peruflora’s Angel (richteri x kovachii ‘Jessica’)
Peter Croezen (pearcei x kovachii)
Taras (czerwickianum x pearcei)

These followed me home:

Aerangis somalensis
Ascocentrum christensonianum
Asconopsis Thai Cherry
Barkeria spectabilis
Brassia signata (mexicana)
Chrisnopsis Penang Star (Paraphalaenopsis laycockii 'big sister' x Christensonia vietnamica)
Cleisocentron merrillianum
Dendrochilum bicallosum
Dorthera (Renanthera Penang x Doritis pulcherrima ‘Tony Tan’
Encyclia garciana
Grosourdya muscosa
Maxillaria ochroleuca
Oncidumnia Kimberly Kosaki (Pauoa Delight x Tolumnia Alameda Magic)
Phalaenopsis cornu-cervi (yellow form)
Phaleanopsis maculata
Phaleanopsis maculata
Phaleanopsis stuartiana (yellow form)
Phaleanopsis sumatrana (malaysian type)
Phaleanopsis sumatrana
Pleurothallis allenii
Pleurothallis amparoana
Polystachya paniculata x sib
Stellis addrianae
Trichosalpinx ciliaris
Tuberolabium phillipsii
Tuberolabium quisumbingii
Tuberolabium woodii

Barbara LeAnn x kovachii
Elizabeth Castle x kovachii
Fritz Schomburg (kovachii ‘Ana’ x besseae)
Haley Decker x kovachii
kovachii
La Vingtaine (Memoria Dick Clements x kovachii)
pearcei
Peruflora’s Angel (richteri x kovachii ‘Jessica’)
Peter Croezen (pearcei x kovachii)
Taras (czerwickianum x pearcei)

No, you DIDN'T!!!! :eek::crazy::evil: That sure is quite a haul to fill up the greenhouse..

Wow Dot what an interesting, great purchase!!!! Some of them on my list too :)!!! great phals., and kovachii crosses :) !!!!

Did you get any documentation with the talks? (esp. about viruses!) Jean

Cool! Lots of species and a box of Pk hybrids. Can't go wrong there! :) Can't wait to see your pix of the Tuberolabiums when they bloom- neat little dudes.

WOW- sounds like an awesome event!! Excellent haul of very cool plants :drool: :drool:
Did all the plants fit in the medium size suitcase you brought??

Wow, someone named a plant for Peter? ;)
Nice captures there, Dot! Did you take any photos?

Alfredo Manrique made and named the cross. Alfredo told me that Peter has done a lot for them in Peru.

When I have my camera with me, I tend to focus on making photos to the exclusion of everything else, so I did not take a camera.

Wow Dot what an interesting, great purchase!!!! Some of them on my list too :)!!! great phals., and kovachii crosses :) !!!!

Did you get any documentation with the talks? (esp. about viruses!) Jean

We were each given a single-sample test kit plus a flyer about the test. And an offer to call the company for any questions.

Way to go Dot! Looks like you'll be doing some late spring cleaning in that new GH,yes?

It's amazing how much re-arranging can take place in a greenhouse! Plus, I've added some brackets to the metal walls for hanging plants. I've hung my Hoyas on some of them, so now I have more room on the rods for hanging orchids.

Back