Really Long/Short Lasting Blooms?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

I was wondering if any Paphs are known for having exceptionally long or short lasting flowers? It seems like my delenatii is starting to fade after a short time. Is this normal? Can you think of any particular varieties that are really unusually in the length of time they stay in bloom?

Generally parvisepalum paphs such as delenatii have shorter lasting blooms compared to the other paphs although they are pretty.

I suggest complex paphs or bulldogs for the longest lasting blooms. Also insigne, etc.
Also maudiae types have long lasting blooms.
Anything that has a waxy texture would last longer typically.

The Armeni White I posted lasted months. For other long lasting blooms I'd recommend Paph Psyche, Paph fairrienum, and things w/ ang-thong in them.

My Ron Williamson (niveum X primulinum) lasts for weeks and weeks. The last spike had just 3 flowers (sequential) and was in bloom for 5 months. Just bought an ang-thong so I'm happy to hear they are long lasting too.

wow...
i don't know if this is true or not but i've heard some vietnamense last for a week whereas, and this may be pure b.s. but i thought i heard that mastersianum can last, in the jungle, for three months.

My mastersianum lasted 5 months, but it has bloomed only once in 6 years. So I bought another one. For me mastersianum is slow growing, but I grow intermediate & dry, rather than warm & humid.

In general, I find that parvi's are the shortest lived...delanatii is good for 3-4 weeks, emersonii for only 2 weeks....can't speak much for the others. Brachy's last about 4-5 weeks...most multi's 3-6 weeks per bloom...the insigne types 6-8 weeks, and the barbata, anywhere between 6 and 12 weeks...hybrids last longer. Complex types can easily go over 2 months, and some of the Maudiaes just as long if not longer. 3 months is not unheard of...my longest lasting blooms may have reached 4 months. The longest lasting species bloom was an urbanianum that lasted nearly 4 months. The cooler the room, the longer the blooms. Take care, Eric

My Doctor Jack (niveum x concolor) had a flower that lasted over 4 months last year. This year's blooming lasted a long time, but didn't make it to 4 months. The parvis generally don't last as long as many of the other paphs. As for other genera, some of the really waxy phals last a very long time. My Phal. Sogo Grape 'Fireball' seems to last forever.

My Maudiae type has been in bloom since Thanksgiving. No joke! And it still looks pristine.

Attachments

• napa valleyemail 004.jpg
    napa valleyemail 004.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 5
A lot of the parvis are very short-lived for me. Generally round 2 weeks. Most Paphs are around 6 to 8 weeks. The longest for me would probably have been Harold Koopowitz - 3 1/2 months.

David

Latest posts

Back