rarest slipper....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wentworthianum, I still have some, not for sale, but the source vanished in the Solomons a couple years ago.

Have you been breeding them?

Dennis D'alessandro had some maybe 5 or so years ago (after getting out of jail in Borneo!!), but I don't think he has any left.

mine is probably micranthum var. albescens... bought as a var. album (not that expensive or I won't have bought it) in Germany (yes it's of my plant I suppose Xavier is talking about lol), close to album, nice and very good growing plant!!

But appart to Paphs, I have paid much more for Cattleya violacea semi-alba and coerulea...

It's Jerrys Bulbo. beccarii. Plants like that, or of that size you'll only see in Borneo, The Eric Young Foundation... or @ OrchidsLtd. All others come as single leaf (sometimes 2 leaf shredder-like-cuttings), knocked into a bock until they fit, basically doomed to die before they arrive anywhere.

i trade my wife for jerry's beccarii, and he gets my sister as free gift!!! amazing plant,really incredible.
but nice beccarii can be found in europe. forget the single leaf one as it will takes years to recover. usually you buy 2leaves cutting (no way to start from seedlings) and a start and if good care in one year, the newest leaf have to be the size of the two first. people and sellers don't know how togrow these,that's why you only find poor stuff. you have to put sphagnum one the center of the leaves and keep it wet...it grows fast under good care

Yes that's the one that I'm talking about. I like the leaf even if it doesn't bloom. I'll still enjoy it.
I know someone who had pots of v. Eburneum growing on their floor. If I come across a good supply I'll send you some.

i trade my wife for jerry's beccarii, and he gets my sister as free gift!!! amazing plant,really incredible.
You know she knows how to use a knife, dont you!? :ninja:

Any tips???
My experience: I got cyp. suptropicum for 150 USD ( recently I saw it for 2500 USD, but for today absolutely disappeared). I look for paph. wentworthianum and bougainvilleanum for 5 years: invain......I was searching for micranthum album, recently I got it for 500 USD.....Slippper collecting is a horror!!!!!!!

Some of you asked me about micr. glanzenianum. Here are few picture of my rarities:
Micranthum album, phrag. vittatum, cyp. suptropicum

Attachments

• slippermic.jpg
    slippermic.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 58
  • slippervitt.jpg
    slippervitt.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 49
  • slippersub.jpg
    slippersub.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 61
Have you been breeding them?

Dennis D'alessandro had some maybe 5 or so years ago (after getting out of jail in Borneo!!), but I don't think he has any left.

I think that they came from me, not directly however... Was in 2006 I think. I did not breed them yet, want to get them nice and beautiful, and anyway, Taiwan offers seedlings of fake ones ( they are mastersianum seedlings). I am not interested to discuss with anyone that I have real ones and they do not, etc... Wentworthianum must be kept very wet, very hot, very dark, very acid, like its relative bougainvilleanum, or they always die, except a very few individual plants. They must have dark green/black leaes.

I'm looking for a simple Ole sangii but they have become rare apparently!

Sangii is exceedingly easy to grow, but if they dry out too much, they are exceedingly prone to rot.

That's why they disappeared from cultivation or nearly so. They prefer to be kept on the acid side as well. Before, fresh wild collected plants were available all the time in the trade, but if they dry out twice, they never establish and they die. After collection, they dry out, then they are potted and watered, they become plump and start root, that's fine. If they dry out a second time, they die. Wild plants can look like cultivated ones ( like mastersianum), but I have not seen many blooming size sangii or mastersianum from seed ( just a few anecdotal ones).

A very, very recent photo for fun:

Are all of those collected sangiis?? Jean

I am afraid so... Sangii is extremely common in the wild so far. Picture taken in Sulawesii one box 60x40x30 full. The collector was packing another 3 boxes.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Paphiopedilum-sangii-/260850397941?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Garten_Blumen_Pflanzen&hash=item3cbbe532f5#ht_983wt_1139

As you can see, I never lie, that ebay offer is a plant from that same batch. As I said too they look 'not too collected' when they are potted with a tag, but the old leaves tell it all. From a few dollars to 70 euros. And that plant offered was a piece of crap, most of the plants I have seen had leaves about double size.

Of course if you prefer fresh wild mastersianum that's here:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Paphiopedilum-mastersianum-Orchid-Plant-/280709402000?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item415b958d90#ht_500wt_969

Or, why not,. violascens?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Paphiopedilum-violascens-/250888983661?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Garten_Blumen_Pflanzen&hash=item3a6a26146d#ht_965wt_1185

All guaranteed collected.

I think that they came from me, not directly however... Was in 2006 I think. I did not breed them yet, want to get them nice and beautiful, and anyway, Taiwan offers seedlings of fake ones ( they are mastersianum seedlings). I am not interested to discuss with anyone that I have real ones and they do not, etc... Wentworthianum must be kept very wet, very hot, very dark, very acid, like its relative bougainvilleanum, or they always die, except a very few individual plants. They must have dark green/black leaes.

Sangii is exceedingly easy to grow, but if they dry out too much, they are exceedingly prone to rot.

That's why they disappeared from cultivation or nearly so. They prefer to be kept on the acid side as well. Before, fresh wild collected plants were available all the time in the trade, but if they dry out twice, they never establish and they die. After collection, they dry out, then they are potted and watered, they become plump and start root, that's fine. If they dry out a second time, they die. Wild plants can look like cultivated ones ( like mastersianum), but I have not seen many blooming size sangii or mastersianum from seed ( just a few anecdotal ones).

A very, very recent photo for fun:

BTW is anyone getting tissue sample analysis of wild collected plants?

The most I paid for a plant so far is $250 for a Phrag kovachii I bought three years ago and who's still about the same size (though completely renewed). I would only consider going in a four digit number if I planned to breed orchids, which is not the case. :p I have no trouble going in the four digits every year, but for several orchids.

To be of value the samples would need to be collected from wild plants before the plants are collected. Once collected the tissue values would deteriorate and any test would not show "wild" results.

Actually those packed plants were collected the day before, so they would qualify.... Locally sangii is exceedingly abundant.

Now, I was expecting a question that no one dare to ask. Where are those boxes going to?

Some are sold to resellers who sell individual plants, it is not a massive output however.

Most of the plants from those boxes go for another type of business...

Ever heard of that bashing about 'buy artificially propagated seedlings in flask'?

The sangii, violascens and mastersianum I have seen were in low bud (in the crown) for most of them. They were ordered from 3 collectors in 3 cities by a nursery doing paph flasks.

That's why people who love to buy 'art propagated' seedlings know nothing about the real story behind the flasks

If you look carefull at some flasks listing, there are batches of flasks of a certain species, suddenly available, with many different parents violascens #1 x #25, #52 x #84 etc... or zieckianum, or mastersianum.

Those sangii will be used to make seed, flasks, and most will die or be discarded. That's all. People will buy flasks unknowingly that in fact those flasks costed a lot of wild plants, as I said before. And people will be very happy with those little seedlings in flasks because they 'saved the wild orchids' by buying 'art propagated seedlings'. In fact that's the opposite.

More and more nurseries realize that selling wild plants is risky, and many people now want to get 'artificially propagated plants'. OK, so, because it's a business for the sellers, they arrange to make flasks. Anyone who is not stupid can see with pictures of such boxes, ordered, I repeat, by a large paph nursery selling flasks, that flask business can be as dirty as wild paph trade, if not much more (making flasks requires more wild plants in fact.. and because they have to bear seed caps with wild roots and leaves, most are sentenced to death). Small plants with clean leaves will be sold as seedlings, plants with blasted buds will be thrown away, and plants blooming killed to make quickly flasks.

sanderianum 7x14, 26x90cm,44564654x456465131234 ? But open your eyes, they are wild plants, collected fresh with the flower spike in the crown, to satisfy the new market, 'flasks'. That's something I find funny too, and I know exactly what I am talking about. Azadehdel, Kovach? OK they smuggled plants. 'Better to buy from a nursery doing flasks'? From some nurseries, yes, but from most, NO. Some of those flask business are way, way worse and more detrimental to any conservation than any smuggler, anywhere in the western world.

Latest posts

Back