Cypripedium montanum - Clump E growth photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we listed our home for sale I decided that keeping our little secret hidden from the public was no longer needed because I wanted to mention the lovely orchids that grow here, and of course the real estate listing states our physical address. So, if anyone here would like to see the plants in person, send me a private message and I'll tell you our physical address in south central Washington state. Please only inquire if you intend on coming.

I have thought of that for years, Charles: what do to with the property when we're gone. Our kids (we're 65) don't want to live here (too remote from the big city) - they'd just sell it if they inherited it. Regarding your idea that a conservation group take it over, the only one that came to mind was the Nature Conservancy. I know little of the organization, but an acquaintance told me recently that they just re-sell many properties. Any knowledge of that?

This is truly a unique property. I have thinned and groomed the 2nd-growth forest that was here in 1988 when I bought it. A state forester came here in 1988 and gave me valuable advice and knowledge; I have been following his guidance ever since: minimum 16' between trees, thin in favor of the pine. I've only killed 3 healthy large trees; it was always a result of hard choices when opening the canopy. Each tree was girdled to kill it; one of these pines, girdled in about 2005, has five Red Shafted Northern Flicker nests high up on the dead stem. As far as I can determine, the forest was last logged in the 1940's. I have spent thousands of hours managing the forest, and it looks it. There are many huge but very old stumps here, and for this dry-country ecosystem, our 30+ inch Ponderosa pines and Douglas firs (especially the firs) are a rarity on small parcels in this county. Our home has a park-like beauty with the quiet serenity of a mountain meadow, thanks to no nearby neighbors. Without the orchids, it is still a special place, but the presence of them has added icing to a most favorite cake.

Depending on localities there can be smaller conservation groups that deal with lands. The Nature Conservancy sometimes does quietly sell some properties but sometimes coordinates with more local groups to set aside land. It depends on what is in the land and I think if they already have similar holdings whether or not they keep something. I know there are quite a few spots in upstate ny that Tnc holds or teams to take care of. You would probably have to find local conservation groups to find out what is 'important' to them in your area. So many orchids may make it more attractive, unless there are other places all around that have orchids as well.

If it is park like, maybe a 'ranch retreat' with trails might be a good business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thin in favor of the pine because they are more tolerant of the limited rainfall we get here and can survive drought conditions better than the fir. During the past 10 years there has been a steady die-off of firs in my area due to drought and near-drought conditions; the pines are weathering this much better. Because our place is on the northwest side of the butte, the impacts are mitigated somewhat.

Hi Grady,
If you're still living there next spring I would love to come see the Cyps. I've wanted to see wild lady slippers since I was a kid living in Montana. I live in Spokane now. I finally found a solitary plant in bloom 2 years ago, just before I turned 40! The plants on your land look amazing! Thank you for sharing your pics and observations. I hope whoever buys your place has the interest and appreciation for the Cyps as you do.

Michael

Hi Michael,

In Spokane, you're just a few hours away. I have this sinking feeling we'll be here for the coming winter so by all means come!

What was the environment where you found the slipper? Public or private lands? Forested? If forested, do you remember anything about the forest's canopy closure, like 50%, 75%, etc. Was it on a hillside?

Grady

It was public land... Forested with about 75% canopy on a hillside. I hope to get back up there to explore the area more one of these days.

Latest posts

Back