rarest slipper....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any tips???
My experience: I got cyp. suptropicum for 150 USD ( recently I saw it for 2500 USD, but for today absolutely disappeared). I look for paph. wentworthianum and bougainvilleanum for 5 years: invain......I was searching for micranthum album, recently I got it for 500 USD.....Slippper collecting is a horror!!!!!!!

My dream is a wentworthianum.....I would give away all my collection for one wentworthianum....I'm crazy, maybe you say.....

Any tips???
My experience: I got cyp. suptropicum for 150 USD ( recently I saw it for 2500 USD, but for today absolutely disappeared). I look for paph. wentworthianum and bougainvilleanum for 5 years: invain......I was searching for micranthum album, recently I got it for 500 USD.....Slippper collecting is a horror!!!!!!!

You got a deal on the micranthum album...the only one I've ever known available here was $2000.

I could get a better deal for the micranthum album; but I still have my limits. I would have a hard time buying that and then if it died!..:sob:
Anyway, the most expensive slipper I've ever dealt with is the WHITE St. Ouen that was $1500 a division!!!

i'm sad to say i've killed a $500 division before. very painful experience. But i've paid a lot more than that for other divisons so until i kill a four-figure plant i guess i'm OK.

Call me right before that day so I can set up the videocam to get the reactions. :( I felt terrible when I killed a $150 division of the red Waunakee Sunset from Chuck Acker.

I like the white pouch micranthum. Is it really hard to take care of theses guys. I was planning to get one.

For years and years I have a self-imposed limit of 40 USD for an orchid. I eventually raised it to 50 USD. My limit is currently at 100 USD, which I only have done once. I find that I can enjoy the flowers of lesser-expensive orchids just as much as the high priced ones. And I don't have to fret so much over losing them. In other words, I still have all my hair. :p

The most expensive plant I bought was a $150.00 Roth. I killed it in less than a year!! :( My budget is in the toilet due to my health & not able to work (since mid Feb)..
What I would love to get is the mottled leaf Cyps!!!!!!

i convinced my boss to spend a whole lot of cash on a plant that i also killed....
we don't bring it up

You got a deal on the micranthum album...the only one I've ever known available here was $2000.

I don't think it's the problem finding these plants and buying them, it's about finding a mic. albino that grows happyly and doesn't spend its days fading away, like most of them do.

And as to being willing to give away a lot for one plant: This here would be my fate:

3060751859_02722487ae_o.jpg

Aside from seedlings I've grown up from flask, with passing time and diminishing space I am more interested in the more expensive divisions. Instead of buying mulitple plants throughout the year I just save up and pay for an expensive plant once a year or two.

I still love the diversity and thrill of growing out different paph seedlings though--they are all unique and special. It's the diversity that makes paphs so cool.

It's Jerrys Bulbo. beccarii. Plants like that, or of that size you'll only see in Borneo, The Eric Young Foundation... or @ OrchidsLtd. All others come as single leaf (sometimes 2 leaf shredder-like-cuttings), knocked into a bock until they fit, basically doomed to die before they arrive anywhere.

I don't think it's the problem finding these plants and buying them, it's about finding a mic. albino that grows happyly and doesn't spend its days fading away, like most of them do.

In a hurry, many micranthum album sold are fake ones, they are green leafed micranthum from a specific colony. So far nearly all the ones that were sold in Germany and bloomed were absolutely not album. I don't know for those that did not bloom, but I would suspect it is the same, just that maybe they will luckily die before the buyer realize...

Real album are more rare, and the high quality ones are very rare. But not that expensive, a very selected one in Japan will sell for a thousand USD a mature blooming size growth division.

Wentworthianum, I still have some, not for sale, but the source vanished in the Solomons a couple years ago.

Latest posts

Back