Hello from Arizona

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
small world! actually I'm a transplant from not too far away; went to school in whitney point north of binghamton. .. you're forgetting the half-moon cookies, the chicken riggies and the boilermaker! (and you can't forget Utica Club!)

lol, what memories! Have you been to Herkimer Diamonds, Howe Caverns or Fort Ticonderoga? I was too young for Utica Club when I lived there but not for the half moon cookies. Do you have any wild cyps near your home. I remember there were plenty of other wild terrestrials growing near my home, one variety even grew in our lawn under the maple trees. I was always careful to not run them over with the lawn mower. I forget the name of that one. It was very common all over the northeast.

yes, yes and yes. probably spiranthes cernua and secret caverns is on the other side of the falls leaving howe caverns (I think); haven't been there. oh, and also yes to wild cyps relatively near oriskany. I think the closest ones that I know of at least are ten or twelve miles away, and others not much further than that (yellow ladyslippers, pink ladyslippers probably closer and showy ladyslippers)

Ha! All these names you guys bring up makes my childhood flood back. I was from very down state, just north of NYC in the Peekskill area, but I spent a fair amount of time in the Catskills and around the Mohawk Valley. Family still resides in Peekskill and Rochester. Yeah NY! A wonderful state.

Welcome, John! Slippers are great, but now we just need to get you hooked into Neofinetia falcata in all of its 2000+ named varieties and you'll be all set. :p :rollhappy: My plants can drive me insane at times, yet they are indeed a true source of joy and comfort as well. I believe gardening of any kind can be very beneficial therapy for life's woes. The people around here are a good lot and I think you'll soon find you're glad you joined Slippertalk.com. I hope to see some photos of your frankincense and myrhh plants posted here soon. I'm especially interested in those thorny myrhh shrubs and the beads of resin which ooze from their woody parts :drool:

What brought you to Japan, how long have you been there?

Utter madness ;) At the time I realized that if I didn't move soon I would become a permanent fixture back in the states, so I moved here. I always wanted to see if I could live successfully in a foreign place and well, after nearly 8 years I'm still alive.

Welcome, John! Slippers are great, but now we just need to get you hooked into Neofinetia falcata in all of its 2000+ named varieties and you'll be all set. :p :rollhappy:

Interestingly, Japaneseorchids has a lot of different Neo's on ebay currently; I'd like to try again but i'm still wary of the possible damage, due to previous experiences. :(

...and I wonder if it is because you have eaten all the traditional Japanese foods or because you have avoided them! :p

Ah, eaten a lot of Japanese food, both traditional and modern, and way too much of their beer (generally quite nice, but nothing can hold a candle to Europe, especially Belgium, ah....). I've wondered about the effects of so much raw fish - I'm a sucker for for it.

Interestingly, Japaneseorchids has a lot of different Neo's on ebay currently; I'd like to try again but i'm still wary of the possible damage, due to previous experiences. :(

I know eBay can be tempting, but if you go with one of the major vendors you'll likely end up with nicer plants. That plug was for free Jason!

Latest posts

Back