Question about Award of Quality

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

We want to enter a Phalaenopsis cross that I did for an Award of Quality. We will enter a group of seedlings, but I cannot remember if you have to exhibit 10 or 12 seedlings. Does anyone know?

Robert

It is an even dozen. At least one must have received a flower quality award- either prior to the AQ being exhibited or concurrent with it. Are these coming to Chicago for our show this weekend? See you here!

-Ernie

AOS Award of Quality - From the AOS Handbook on Judging and Exhibition, 10th Edition

"Awarded once to a cross, exhibited by a single individual as a group of not less than 12 different clones or the inflorescences thereof, of a raised species or hybrid which may or may not have been made before, when the result is a sufficient improvement over the former type. At least one cultivar exhibited must receive, or have received, a flower quality award. It is granted unanimously without scoring by the judging team assigned. The specific values for which this award is granted must be recorded by the judging team. If the hybridizer and exhibitor are different, each shall receive a certificate. The Award of Quality is not given a cultivar name."

So it sounds like you can have more than 12 in the group if you want - but the requirement is "not less than 12".

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it has to be at least 12.

Yes, I am sending them down to the Chicago show. I personally am not coming along this time. Scott D. and Josh will be representing us.

Robert

"Awarded once to a cross, exhibited by a single individual as a group of not less than 12 different clones or the inflorescences thereof, of a raised species or hybrid which may or may not have been made before, when the result is a sufficient improvement over the former type. At least one cultivar exhibited must receive, or have received, a flower quality award. It is granted unanimously without scoring by the judging team assigned. The specific values for which this award is granted must be recorded by the judging team. If the hybridizer and exhibitor are different, each shall receive a certificate. The Award of Quality is not given a cultivar name."

So it sounds like you can have more than 12 in the group if you want - but the requirement is "not less than 12".

Yep!

Ramon:)

We decided not to take the seedlings after all. I had 10 good ones, but #11 and #12 were too small (the plants). Maybe next year.

Robert

Latest posts

Back