Quality large grade Perlite

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone help?

I am looking for an original manufacturer of good quality, large grade Perlite.

I heard this was available in the USA, but can't track anyone down.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for this perlite.

I am happy to import in bulk

thanks

I had real troubles getting large grade perlite as well until I stopped by a hydroponic store. I bought a largest bag they had of perfect perlite #4. Too much for me actually so I have started to hand out to our local orchid society.

Can anyone help?

I am looking for an original manufacturer of good quality, large grade Perlite.

I heard this was available in the USA, but can't track anyone down.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for this perlite.

I am happy to import in bulk

thanks
Yes….Wilkin Mining & Trucking, Inc. of Caliente, Nevada, USA are the manufacturers of Pahroc Giant brand sponge rock. They manufacture all sizes…wholesale only. Have been in business since 1958.

I've been struggling finding a good charcoal source as well. Last batch I got was all practically powder.
Tropical Plant Products has a new supplier…they say it is good….I have not tried yet.
I've been struggling finding a good charcoal source as well. Last batch I got was all practically powder.

Perlite has been used extensively for a long time, it lasts well, but is subject to degrading. At repotting time when it is wet it crushes easily and diminishes somewhat. It is very reasonably priced, however it does not survive well in large cattleya open mix. Perlite should be used for seedling mixes and works very well there. As an alternative, though quite pricey I have been using pumice for over two years. Pumice (volcanic stone) has been a favorite of succulent growers for decades, it's lasting quality seems second to none, and in allowing air penetration to the root zone it gives superior results. I never see evidence of mineral salt accumulation on it's surface. For cattleya and large phragmipedium where repotting is infrequent it is my choice. Added in combination with leca (clay balls) to Orchiata. Worth thinking about. Readily available at cannabis grow stores and succulent dealers. Cheers.

Attachments

• pumice.png
    pumice.png
    547 KB · Views: 0
  • pumice eh.png
    pumice eh.png
    328 KB · Views: 0
Pumice is only a viable option if you live near the mines or have a tiny collection. Having 40+ cubic feet of pumice shipped to use in place of perlite would cost me about 8x what I currently spend every year.

I agree that this use of pumice is not to replace perlite but it is a viable option. It is not cost effective for plants just being grown to resell, my usage is for my plants. You made me count, my collection is tiny if you consider over 200 mature plants in hanging 8-10" containers and another 500 plus NBS on 30, 18" x 30" trays. My mix has to be open as humidity averages at 60%, water days are over 80%. The pumice makes up maybe just 15% of the mix with leca, charcoal and Orchiata making up the rest. Pics below , cheers.

Attachments

• Pumice Pure Love DB.jpg
    Pumice Pure Love DB.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 0
  • greenhouse.jpg
    greenhouse.jpg
    667.2 KB · Views: 0
  • greenhouse 3.jpg
    greenhouse 3.jpg
    865.3 KB · Views: 0
I guess I struck a nerve, I wasn't trying to turn this into a collection measuring contest lol. I pay around $40 for four cubic feet of perlite, an equivalent amount of the pumice you posted would be over $320 before shipping and every cactus or Aloe we put in a five gallon container would consume a full one of those $29 bags. I'll agree with you all day long that pumice is superior to perlite, but not so much as to justify an eightfold increase in cost plus shipping on top of it. If I still lived out west where I could get a yard of pumice from a landscape supplier for $50 I'd be all over it but perlite does the job plenty well enough.

I found bags of pumice last year at a landscaping lot. They were old and dusty. I asked how much, got a huge bag for $20. I went back for more but they had dumped the bags. Point being, landscapers are worth checking for stuff like calcined clay and pumice.

Latest posts

Back