Pterostylis progress

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An update of my most recent attempt to grow a few pterostylis donated from friend David Mellard down in georgia. He grows them famously in his greenhouse, usually in straight potting soil.

a8e1365bcbde14b386e1eb08bdf0c117.jpg
Planter with three different species: pterostylis erecta at top, p curta 'mellow spirit' in middle, and p ophioglossa in the foreground

d6739c0b53a07a50d810d59042978a5c.jpg
The ophioglossa, not liking my conditions. May have had too much shade near the edge of the window

5c44406f4e790d3fe54b3b08d56648da.jpg
The curta, much happier and robust. One tall flower spike emerging very quickly, others starting

2feab2890ce3b54c19a70fd010d196a6.jpg
The erecta, small but a little better than the ophioglossa. Also may have had too much shade

84f42ef28be7cd717c9c4602f3b46d9f.jpg
Curta spike

3f257ed5ae0ba1ebefa900084a3bb3a1.jpg
Another curta spike just starting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had some curta or nutans a few years ago that came up and flowered, but at the time I had to move my plants and all and they didn't survive the moving. I think a larger pot that doesn't dry immediately or stay too wet will help long term

Since David grows them in basic potting mix I just used the same but with some sand added. Since i'm not growing in a greenhouse like he is I thought I might need slightly more drainage

Wow! Love them little things - arisarum-lookalikes! I had them once, but never got them to flower. They lived two years only. A pity.

Waiting for the open flower!

Congrats !

Why am I not seeing the update photo? My curtas , just went dormant!???

I posted the last picture with Tapatalk. I can see it in the web browser also.
I had the planter under a 24 hr light for a while and they were growing like crazy. I decided to stop watering and they dried back, so these are likely on a different schedule than yours. If you want to multiply them, keep them under 24 hr light and they will keep expanding for awhile

Looking good Charles.

In the southern hemisphere we are at the other end of the cycle. The leaves are popping up and flowers are developing in the earlier flowering species. I have started growing some Australian terrestrial orchids in the last year or so. I have a few now but by far the easiest to grow is Pterostylis curta. It is an absolute weed. It is incredible how fast this species can multiply. These type of orchids really look at there best when seen in mass flowerings. If you grow them well, this will take only a few years for curta.

I have four clones of this species. This one had 20 tubers last year, this year it had 46. I repotted it in a much bigger pot a few weeks ago and it has filled it out nicely. I dare say it will have well over 100 tubers next season. The second photo is of a beautiful variegated clone of curta. Not sure if it is available outside of Australia, but well worth grabbing if you can get it.

curta%203.jpg

curta%20vaiegated%203.jpg

Latest posts

Back